Toadstool

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I added a toadstool to my tank about a month ago. The first few days it was open and looked great but since then it starts to open but doesnt want to all the way. My gsp, zoas, and xenia all seem happy. I have a biocube 32 with stock lighting. One wave maker running on pulse on full power. Tank is about 4 months old. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Nitrate 0-5 ppm
Phosphate 0 from what i can tell (ive tried getting nutrients higher by less frequent water changes)
Alk 9.6
Salinity 1.025

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp? Is it getting blasted by the powerhead? Leathers are usually very hardy but very temperamental.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. They like a fairly strong flow, to help them occasionally 'shed,' but not a full (or ridiculous) constant blast.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just experiment with placement a little bit (including lighting), and give it more time. Unless it actually looks like it is wasting away(?) I’ve had them go ‘grumpy’ for 3 weeks at a time, even when established in a tank.

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just experiment with placement a little bit (including lighting), and give it more time. Unless it actually looks like it is wasting away(?) I’ve had them go ‘grumpy’ for 3 weeks at a time, even when established in a tank.
It seems healthy just not opening up all the way. I'll probably try moving it. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If they don’t get adequate light and water flow, the skin will glaze over and they then get moody
Using a turkey baster, blow over the top of the toadstool and increase water flow a little and it should perk up

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried moving my Lobo from the substrate to the rock it wasn't very happy nor could I get it to stay, so I moved it to the substrate and for a few days I was sure I ticked it off to the point I may have permanently damaged it.

It shed yesterday and opened today and it looks like it doubled.

Could be about to shed cause mine didnt look glossy. I just saw the skin shedding one day
giphy.gif

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. I have more than one kind of leather in the tank, as generally speaking, a tank full of softies, well, it’s hard to get them all looking good at the same time. It seems like they ‘take turns.’ Lol!

OP
OP
Big_Mclargehuge

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. I have more than one kind of leather in the tank, as generally speaking, a tank full of softies, well, it’s hard to get them all looking good at the same time. It seems like they ‘take turns.’ Lol!
Haha yep!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.0%
Back