Toby Puffer and Sea Cucumber Compatibility?

  • Thread starter Thread starter figwig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

figwig

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2021
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Manchester
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, seem to be getting mixed results so thought I'd ask here. Does anyone keep a toby puffer and a sea cucumber together? Does the toby show any interest?

I've had my toby (specifically a false eye blue spot) for a while and I'm pretty good and at judging what he will/won't eat. I've got loads of hermit crabs, plenty of trochus snails, a couple small nas snails, and a couple cerith snails, and he leaves them all alone mostly. Anything at night he doesn't touch, and while he's interested in the snails when I first put them in he usually ignores them after a couple of minutes. If there's one face up on the sand he'll go for it but I've never seen him try to break their shells. He also mostly leaves the corals alone. I've got quite a messy sand bed and have been trying to find something that will do a good job of cleaning the detritus - I've got a watchman Goby but as of yet he's not sand sifting, and I think a sandsifiting star might not work - though if anyone has experience with that combo too that'd be great to hear about!
(also apologies if someone sees this in the general reef discussion too, I haven't figured out how to delete that thread yet)
1614080062591.png
 
I see the Toby being curious but not destructive to it. I’d call it a good risk. Now a crab or snail is a whole different story
 
Guess I'll take the gamble. I'll probably put it in at night. I've heard they can make their skin hard to protect themselves so maybe that will help
 
Guess I'll take the gamble. I'll probably put it in at night. I've heard they can make their skin hard to protect themselves so maybe that will help
Hi, in realize this post is a number of months old, I just wanted to check how did it go? In thinking of the same fish and I have 2 different cucumbers already...
 
Hey! Unfortunately I ended up taking the cucumber out. The puffer wasn't overly aggressive but there was definitely a few investigatory pecks and I was too nervous that the cucumber would nuke my tank as a result. Your milage may very
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new