Toby Puffer and Sea Cucumber Compatibility?

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, seem to be getting mixed results so thought I'd ask here. Does anyone keep a toby puffer and a sea cucumber together? Does the toby show any interest?

I've had my toby (specifically a false eye blue spot) for a while and I'm pretty good and at judging what he will/won't eat. I've got loads of hermit crabs, plenty of trochus snails, a couple small nas snails, and a couple cerith snails, and he leaves them all alone mostly. Anything at night he doesn't touch, and while he's interested in the snails when I first put them in he usually ignores them after a couple of minutes. If there's one face up on the sand he'll go for it but I've never seen him try to break their shells. He also mostly leaves the corals alone. I've got quite a messy sand bed and have been trying to find something that will do a good job of cleaning the detritus - I've got a watchman Goby but as of yet he's not sand sifting, and I think a sandsifiting star might not work - though if anyone has experience with that combo too that'd be great to hear about!
(also apologies if someone sees this in the general reef discussion too, I haven't figured out how to delete that thread yet)
1614080062591.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see the Toby being curious but not destructive to it. I’d call it a good risk. Now a crab or snail is a whole different story

OP
OP
F

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'll take the gamble. I'll probably put it in at night. I've heard they can make their skin hard to protect themselves so maybe that will help

Lukey2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'll take the gamble. I'll probably put it in at night. I've heard they can make their skin hard to protect themselves so maybe that will help
Hi, in realize this post is a number of months old, I just wanted to check how did it go? In thinking of the same fish and I have 2 different cucumbers already...

OP
OP
F

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Unfortunately I ended up taking the cucumber out. The puffer wasn't overly aggressive but there was definitely a few investigatory pecks and I was too nervous that the cucumber would nuke my tank as a result. Your milage may very

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back