Today I committed heresy on my Vortechs

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 6 Vortechs in my 2 large tanks. 5 had blown their covers off. An extremely common occurrence. In the 240 the covers always go to the center behind the rock under the overflow where the long spine urchin hangs out. you cant see it and you get stabbed feeling for it.
So I cleaned the wet sides and assembled them.
Then I drilled holes through the cover and into the bottom plate on the side. I then pinned them with 0.080 weedeater string.
It comes in some interesting shapes and what I have gripped well in a 3/32 of an inch tiny hole. I left enough that I could pull it out with some pliers sticking out. I just put the green thing sticking out to the back so you cant see them.
IMG_5057-L.jpg

Try to come off now you stinking covers. You don't turn until I say you can turn.

Ha

If you look at the bottom plate there is a perfect spot to do this just beside the notch the nubs on the cover cam into that are supposed to hold it on. There is a little ramp with a space behind it so you arent drilling into where the magnet of the impellor is.

Last edited:

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool solution. I have 3 MP 40s and find this issue very annoying. For $450 you'd think they'd figure out how to engineer a guard that doesn't blow off.
They had one circa 2012. It's since been cost cut out of existence. Now we pay the same price, but for a pump they've had 15 years to find ways to cheapen. Only option for the new models is never taking them apart for maintenance. Just soak in vinegar bath and reattach

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had well over 20 Vortechs in my reefing life and not one had the cages ever fall off. I’ve had other issues but never that
Have 4 myself and thought maybe this was a joke so I didn't reply. Probably not seating them properly after disassembly or broke them durring disassembly. Took me a few tries to get it right but have never had one come off of it was correctly installed.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have loads of MP40’s and have to say none of my original covers have ever come off in the tank. I replaced them all with 3D printed versions and one of them is loose. I have however had this issue with my 2 MP60’s. Anyway great idea buddy and thanks for taking the time to post it!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 MP's in use here, never had a cover blow off. The propeller turns in the same direction of the lock, so not even sure if they were secured, how they can just blow off? I would suspect the little clips that hold them into the lock position is broken.

Either way, nice DIY hack to keep them on.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 MP's in use here, never had a cover blow off. The propeller turns in the same direction of the lock, so not even sure if they were secured, how they can just blow off? I would suspect the little clips that hold them into the lock position is broken.

Either way, nice DIY hack to keep them on.
Nope I checked mine they’re not but still came loose and exposed the propeller spinning luckily there weren’t any fish near by. I was home and saw it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 153 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back