Tomini/Kole Tang size

hockey9248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Tomini and Kole Tang owners: How big are your tangs?

I've had a Tomini for the past 4.5-5 years and his growth seems to have plateaued over the last 2 years. Right now he is probably 4.5" to 5" inches long but I've read that adults should be closer to 6" in length. Does anyone have different experiences with Tominis?

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Torino is 3 yes old and only at 3+” and my kole 4 1/2”

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the "rule of thumb" a percentage of the fish's natural sizing when kept in an aquarium?
Yes, usually in captivity the easiest way to know what size a fish will get you do their max size x 0.8. My Blue Eye Kole Tang (C. binotatus) has been with me for around 2 years and is around 3” to 3.5” head to tail.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he’s maxed out, honestly. Copps has had his Tomini for 20 years and counting by now, and it’s topped out at about 4.5-5”. They’re some of the smallest Tangs but I’d still recommend a minimum of a 4’ 75 gallon tank, a 100+ gallon better.

They’re more peaceful than lots of other Tangs too.

OP
OP
H

hockey9248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he’s maxed out, honestly. Copps has had his Tomini for 20 years and counting by now, and it’s topped out at about 4.5-5”. They’re some of the smallest Tangs but I’d still recommend a minimum of a 4’ 75 gallon tank, a 100+ gallon better.

They’re more peaceful than lots of other Tangs too.
I’ve had mine in a 75 for the past couple years. They have a really nice temperament. Mine just started eating nori after watching other fish in my new tank

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about their growth rate? Generally small fish hit a growth spurt when they're very small. I introduced a small maybe 1.5" tomini into a 180g with 3 other M tangs. It's eating fine, but I have to feed opposite sides of the tank to allow it to eat because of the more aggressive bigger fish. Do these generally grown slow or fast at the 1.5 mark? Asking because I won't be able to feed the tank manually much longer due to travel. He needs to grow a bit faster to compete. =)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about their growth rate? Generally small fish hit a growth spurt when they're very small. I introduced a small maybe 1.5" tomini into a 180g with 3 other M tangs. It's eating fine, but I have to feed opposite sides of the tank to allow it to eat because of the more aggressive bigger fish. Do these generally grown slow or fast at the 1.5 mark? Asking because I won't be able to feed the tank manually much longer due to travel. He needs to grow a bit faster to compete. =)
They are rather slow growers, my C. binotatus has grown an inch over the past two years and is now at 3” head to tail. I find tominis to grow slower than twin spots (I’ve kept three tominis and two twin spots during my time working at an LFS and dealing with the main display tank).

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are rather slow growers, my C. binotatus has grown an inch over the past two years and is now at 3” head to tail. I find tominis to grow slower than twin spots (I’ve kept three tominis and two twin spots during my time working at an LFS and dealing with the main display tank).

Great! Just my luck with Tominis as slow growers. I hope he gets bolder or he won't have much to eat if he doesn't compete. I bought biota royals that were tiny and hiding, but they grew quickly and now cruise around the tank openly. That was the small fish have the growth spurt experience that I was hoping the tomini would have.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ha! Found an old thread where I commented on a Tomini. Fast forward almost 2 years (22 months to be exact) and my Tomini has grown significantly. I was concerned about how it would do against medium size tangs at the time which includes hippo, yellow and PBT all in the tank. I can say now that it has outgrown all the others in terms of rate and now approaching the size of the 4.5" hippo. The aggression seems to pick up as well. All this in a 180. Good looking fish, but definitely need the space. Yes I read the 5-6" max size, but hope the growth slows down now on this fast growing fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back