Tomini tang in 50 gallon

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw a small tomini tang in someone’s 50 gallon tank on YouTube and it peaked my interest. I originally planned on not getting a tang and just sticking to small fish that get no larger than 5’’ but a tomini only gets about 6’’. I have small pair of clowns, small wrasses, cardinals, hogfish, dottyback.

should I pull the trigger on a tomini for my 50 gallon? Or it’s not worth it? Let me know!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw a small tomini tang in someone’s 50 gallon tank on YouTube and it peaked my interest. I originally planned on not getting a tang and just sticking to small fish that get no larger than 5’’ but a tomini only gets about 6’’. I have small pair of clowns, small wrasses, cardinals, hogfish, dottyback.

should I pull the trigger on a tomini for my 50 gallon? Or it’s not worth it? Let me know!
You probably could, but it may not be a very happy fish once it grows as it like a lot of swimming space.
If you plan on upgrading in the next few years to 90 gal or bigger it would be happier

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll wait until I upgrade tanks folks, dimension of my tank (lagoon style) make it even worse.
What are the dimensions of your tank, and why do you say lagoon style is worse? I would say exactly the opposite. Tangs (and most SW fish that are active swimmers) use horizontal swimming space WAY more than they use vertical swimming space.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your tank, and why do you say lagoon style is worse? I would say exactly the opposite. Tangs (and most SW fish that are active swimmers) use horizontal swimming space WAY more than they use vertical swimming space.
It’s like a shallow cube. I feel like a longer tank would be better for swimming area. It’s a IM lagoon 50.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done if your experienced enough.

Mine came from my 120.
Its in my 36x24x12 frag system now.
Its big and lives under a frag rack.
It takes nori from my hand so?

All thing the bigger tank the bettr.
It will go into my 48x24x16 growout tank one day.
20230123_094628.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Yes you can- My Tomini is 4 years and still a little over 3". Has only been in large tanks.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i still think its funny when ppl argue about fish in smaller tanks . i see guys with big tanks that are so full of rock that its it doesnt give the fish anymore swimming area then some smaller tanks i have seen . but i do agree to a point there are fish you shouldn't keep in smaller tanks .

Nlara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if you start with a small specimen. As it grows you can maybe swap it at your LFS.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is 30x20x16. its an AIO so i guess its actually more like a 40 gallon :dizzy-face: i will certainly upgrade in the next couple years so i dont see this being a problem, especially with the tang starting at 1-2"

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang got delivered, doesn’t look too stressed and I’m only floating it right now but I instantly noticed the top din is a little bit damaged and there are some white patches on the body. Big cause for concern? I don’t have qt as I’m working on that now but figured I’d ask.

85E9C10E-8B10-41AB-8242-A41C1F09B9C4.jpeg
628F3F1F-CE35-4436-95EA-A5FB71D671FB.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blotches are likely just from shipping stress. My one spot foxface goes from yellow to black every time he sees a fish net. Did the fish arrive with a a reasonable water temp?

My Tomini tangs are the slowest growing tangs I've ever had. You should be fine for a good while.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang got delivered, doesn’t look too stressed and I’m only floating it right now but I instantly noticed the top din is a little bit damaged and there are some white patches on the body. Big cause for concern? I don’t have qt as I’m working on that now but figured I’d ask.

85E9C10E-8B10-41AB-8242-A41C1F09B9C4.jpeg
628F3F1F-CE35-4436-95EA-A5FB71D671FB.jpeg
I assume based on the way you phrased your post that you don't purchase from vendors who QT and treat their fish? Since you also don't QT, you're basically playing with a lighter in a oil refinery. It's only a matter of time before you introduce a pathogen to your tank that could wipe out all of your fish. Good luck!

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done if your experienced enough.

Mine came from my 120.
Its in my 36x24x12 frag system now.
Its big and lives under a frag rack.
It takes nori from my hand so?

All thing the bigger tank the bettr.
It will go into my 48x24x16 growout tank one day.
20230123_094628.jpg
truly a beautiful fish

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish is doing great and coloration looks good. took him a few days to come out of his cave but now he is very active and picking on the rocks constantly. if i walk up to the tank he will hide so i just sit in my chair and watch him from a distance lol. such a beautiful fish, prob my new favorite.

bcurelop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 45G DT and he is doing fine. He had a few white spots when I first got him but I think it was just from shipping stress. He is also pretty shy but after several weeks he seems to be getting less shy.

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have one in my 45g tall tank. I've had him for over a year now and he is still shy when people approach the tank. They are pretty fish. But they can be mean to new tank mates. Mine scared the life out of a new wrasse I bought a few months back. Only saw the wrasse once the next day and never saw him again. But he keeps my pair of clowns in check sometimes when they get cranky.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back