Tons of bubbles from skimmer

Billango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am setting up my first reef tank and it's a 32 gallon bow front. I am actually adopting this tank and using all the old rocks, sand, and even most of the old water. I am using the same skimmer that was used by its previous owner, the aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer. I have added maybe 50 percent more rocks and thoroughly cleaned the skimmer with warm tap water. Now that I have it running, tons of bubbles are coming out of the skimmer and flowing throughout the tank. I have attached a video of the bubbles. The skimmer has only been running for about 12 hours like this and I've read there might be a break in period after cleaning, but this amount of bubbles seems quite excessive compared to the videos I've seen of this product. My questions are how normal is this, what should I do, and could there be any harm to the 2 clown fish I have from this (they kind of get little bubble beards there's so many bubbles going around). Thanks in advance.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that skimmer, it should not do that.

Is it the first time you turn it on since you got it? Did you see it working on the other tank?

Is the chamber divider inside? (the long curvy piece)

The bubbles won't bother the fish, don't worry. Think of how many bubbles are produced on a reef when waves crash down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back