Too clean or too dirty. Please read.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A758D242-56CE-48D1-86C1-4C91BD140B01.jpeg
AD2291FD-4811-4A27-82DB-2D832C581883.jpeg
Here is the situation. 6 months ago I bought a tank set up , 350 gallon lightly stocked mixed reef. Among the corals was a very nice NY nick’s torch. I had the torch fragged into 4 double heads. I have to my friends and family that helped move tank. My good friend that helped also talked me into trying saltwater as he has been doing it for quite awhile. His tank in beautiful, white sand and spotless. That’s the backstory
I’ve got my tank for 6 months trying my own way. I don’t run filter socks or skimmer, don’t do water changes and feed heavy. My friend does things by the book. He asked for f he could put his torches in my tank cause his tank is not doing well. Thus the pictures.
The first picture is my double head now and the second is his, sand rake is for size reference. Please give me your thoughts.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the exact question is but I would guess that your torch is enjoying the more nutrient rich environment of your tank in comparison to that of yours friend’s. There are quite a few other variables from tank to tank but if we are asking, “do lps like a dirtier or cleaner tank?” Most would say they prefer bathing in detritus.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand and agree . Looking for information or thoughts about the setup and system. New to saltwater tank but not to tanks or saltwater lol. If I understand correctly, the tank itself is an ecosystem of its own. The more life and natural growth the better it should do. I do run a skimmer or sock once a week to clear bigger bits. Thanks for responding

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing parameters and lighting of each tank you can't really make an argument. Just because you feed heavy and what not doesn't say much.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is you should test your water, that will give you an idea of what's going on better than looking at a single torch. I'd also say, if you do a big water change, I'm willing to bet your corals perk up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back