too high of a pressure going to rodi unit?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so had my rodi unit installed in my garage area and just had a simple on and off valve installed off of the utility sink . my question is when its fully open im getting like 85 psi through the membrane , its not really a controllable valve so i can barely leave it open and get 75 . when reading instructions on unit it said ideally pressure should be over 40 to like 70. so if i need a pressure regulator what is the best one i should be looking to get ? also if saddle vavlves are prone to fail whats everyones best solution for the waste line

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so had my rodi unit installed in my garage area and just had a simple on and off valve installed off of the utility sink . my question is when its fully open im getting like 85 psi through the membrane , its not really a controllable valve so i can barely leave it open and get 75 . when reading instructions on unit it said ideally pressure should be over 40 to like 70. so if i need a pressure regulator what is the best one i should be looking to get ? also if saddle vavlves are prone to fail whats everyones best solution for the waste line
That pressure seems very high if you aren't using a booster pump. Are you on city water or a well? Maximum pressure in your home should be around 60psi with 45-50psi being more common. You may also want to double check your gauge.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encourage you to watch a BRS video they did on how PSI affect RO membranes: With a 75 GPD membrane, they saw 120 GPD performance at 90 PSI. At that PSI, I'd suggest running a second RO membrane to decrease your wastewater produced per gallon of RO water. If you ever have PSI above this, I'd suggest the Watts Pressure Reducing Valve, BRS sells them. As for my waste water, I have this weighted down pouring into a floor drain in my basement fish room where the RODI system is permanently plumbed.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im on public water , its a brand new unit
What brand RODI unit is it?

If your house pressure is at 85 psi you may want to have them come and dial it down. Unless, of course, you like having a pressure washer for a shower!

OP
OP
tautog83

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i mean i have a tankless hot water heater and its like right next to it . i dont feel like the water pressure is crazy strong anywhere else . what you would expect from regular city water . wonder if i can dial it down from the digital unit thats next to it.. i know it controls temperature ill have to look into it... all new for me

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean i have a tankless hot water heater and its like right next to it . i dont feel like the water pressure is crazy strong anywhere else . what you would expect from regular city water . wonder if i can dial it down from the digital unit thats next to it.. i know it controls temperature ill have to look into it... all new for me
Your water heater shouldn't control pressure. That is set by a regulator outside of your house.

I suspect it is a bad pressure gauge. Your RODI unit doesn't have a built in booster pump, does it?

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your RO unit should be plumbed to cold water, is it currently plumbed to output from the heater? Does the digital controller only adjust water coming from the water heater? I agree with @Brew12 that definitely seems high for city water.

OP
OP
tautog83

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ya im not sure, its plumbed to the cold water line , ill take some pics i suppose, its a90 gpd spectapure max cap

OP
OP
tautog83

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20180823_110052.jpg
20180823_110017.jpg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to BRS as they said Ideally 65-80 PSI and I am getting 90-95, they said it was no issue. I also had 2 DI stages and that makes sure I am getting 0TDS. As long as you are getting 0 TDS you should be good.

OP
OP
tautog83

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so when it flushes its fine it looks like but somehow goign through membrane it flys up. that sorta valve is wrong i know because its not very adjustable but if i dial it to where its barely on it gets like 75 psi

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your waste water about 3.5:1 or so compared to the product water? If it is significantly lower you may have a faulty flow restrictor or some other type of blockage on the waste water side.

95 psi is actually really good but that seems really high for city pressure.

OP
OP
tautog83

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i havent started my build yet. just was getting everythign set up so i really havent made any water yet . just installed that a couple days ago

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to reduce your water pressure you can use a pressure regulator on your water main, for whole house reduction, or in line for just a certain feed. You can get small inline regulators from RV supply stores. My pressure is at 80 psi, not regulated from city. No problems with the system operation.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My pump kicks my psi to around 100. I’ll have to take a look next time I run.

I want to say the higher helps reduce TDS after the RO and increases the filtration rate

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my city does 80 psi and BRS units recommend 60 to 80 psi, in fact most booster pumps out there bring up the pressure to 80-90 psi with a dial down option.
my only concern is booster pumps are better installed after the filters and before the membrane. in your case with high pressure entering the units i hope the filter holder dont break/bust over time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back