Too many bio filtration (blocks)?

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running this little 14g QT for all of my fish. it does not have a sump and the filtration system runs to the back of the tank. I have used ceramic rings, and a filter sponge in the past. I think it wasn't sufficient enough.

20200415_090809.jpg

My last quarantine was a copperband and I did not have any success with the copperband making it past QT. As I had to overfeed, say 7-8 times per day to get it to bite, the QT would get very very dirty and I would have to change the QT water every 2nd day. Even then, it was still cloudy and murky.

So I have decided to purchase 1KG of the Mantis bio spheres, which is currently in the QT now. I also left about 500grams of ceramic rings in there to help fill the back for filtration.

Now, my question is.. is there such thing as too much filtration? Reason is because I came across a photo of someone placing a Mantis block in the water column (picture below) and I thought, would I be able to add this to my QT help with filtration of water, as well as what I currently have in the back? I do understand 1 block could probably cater for a much larger tank.. So am I going a little wee bit ridiculously overboard with my bio? Would it do more harm than good (other than my wallet)?

My next fish I plan to QT is another copperband! So would love to give this a crack to see how well the bio block/spheres go.

My current QT filtration:
Sponge > Ceramic Rings > Mantis Bio Spheres

What I wish to add on top of that ^:
1 block of Mantis bio block

Im considering this because, I would also slowly like to use it in the future for my DT or any new tanks. So it really isn't going to waste in the future.

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 8.02.42 am.png

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't have too much in the sense that something bad will happen. Its just a place for bacteria to grow and they are limited by the amount of waste being produced. What is more important is that you keep it cycling if you keep it up. Otherwise, you basically kill off all the bacteria between each fish in the qt and you quickly overwhelm the system with way too much ammonia.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think too much surface for bacteria exist. They will grow in respect to the waste in your tank. Just keep in mind that in smaller tanks, every rock you introduce will lower the amount of water in the tank significantly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back