Too many fish for a 73 gallon?

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, finally got my first tank on the slightly larger side of things up and and cycling. its 4' long. 20' wide and 20' tall.
73 gallon Dt and 18 gallon sump. Figured while I wait for the cycle to complete I would figure out what fish I'm gonna put in
Really hoping to get a One spot foxface and a tomini tang in there but I would like to get some other opinions if this is enough space for them. Other than those however I was thinking of getting
2 clown
2 reef safe wrasses
shrimp/ goby pair
royal gramma basslet
midas blenny
maybe some other small gobies

Also planning on adding some inverts as well some lps and softies.
Planning on doing 5-10 gallon water changes twice a week.
Also worth mentioning that I *might* set up a larger tank in a couple years, however I have no real concrete plan as of now so I would prefer if rehoming these fish wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks in advance!

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the foxface and tomini tang could definitely work in this tank set up. However that being said, I think this being your first tank I would not add that many fish that you have listed. Would start with the two clowns and a goby and wrasse. See how that goes and make sure you are used to doing water changes and maintenance. After a little bit you could add the foxface and tomini tang. If you do decide to get the foxface make sure not to add it as one of your first fish cause they often stress out if they are alone in tanks. After that you could add a few more gobies as you feel out your comfort level in keeping up with maintenance and good water quality.

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, finally got my first tank on the slightly larger side of things up and and cycling. its 4' long. 20' wide and 20' tall.
73 gallon Dt and 18 gallon sump. Figured while I wait for the cycle to complete I would figure out what fish I'm gonna put in
Really hoping to get a One spot foxface and a tomini tang in there but I would like to get some other opinions if this is enough space for them. Other than those however I was thinking of getting
2 clown
2 reef safe wrasses
shrimp/ goby pair
royal gramma basslet
midas blenny
maybe some other small gobies

Also planning on adding some inverts as well some lps and softies.
Planning on doing 5-10 gallon water changes twice a week.
Also worth mentioning that I *might* set up a larger tank in a couple years, however I have no real concrete plan as of now so I would prefer if rehoming these fish wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks in advance!
I think that the tang would be to big but the foxface would be just fine. All the others will be fine together I would recommend on a newer tank to only add a couple of fish at a time.

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the foxface and tomini tang could definitely work in this tank set up. However that being said, I think this being your first tank I would not add that many fish that you have listed. Would start with the two clowns and a goby and wrasse. See how that goes and make sure you are used to doing water changes and maintenance. After a little bit you could add the foxface and tomini tang. If you do decide to get the foxface make sure not to add it as one of your first fish cause they often stress out if they are alone in tanks. After that you could add a few more gobies as you feel out your comfort level in keeping up with maintenance and good water quality.
Worth mentioning that this isn't my first tank, just my first one on the larger side of things .I have an 18 gallon salt right now. I definitely do plan on going slow and making sure the tank is capable of adding another fish before doing so. Thinking maybe 1-2 fish a month.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth mentioning that this isn't my first tank, just my first one on the larger side of things .I have an 18 gallon salt right now. I definitely do plan on going slow and making sure the tank is capable of adding another fish before doing so. Thinking maybe 1-2 fish a month.
Oh my bad I understood this is your first tank. Yeah that sounds like a plan. Are you going to set up a quarantine tank? If not I would try to get the tomini and foxface in after your clowns and observe them for a month or so before you add other fish. Just bc those are the two fish out of your selection that would be prone to ich or other diseases.

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my bad I understood this is your first tank. Yeah that sounds like a plan. Are you going to set up a quarantine tank? If not I would try to get the tomini and foxface in after your clowns and observe them for a month or so before you add other fish. Just bc those are the two fish out of your selection that would be prone to ich or other diseases.
Yea probably gonna set up a quarantine tank . just gotta do a bit of research on how to set them up and what I need to put in.

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also forgot to add I might add a dragonlet either after I have had it running for as long time or find one eating prepared foods.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the foxfire or the tang, not both. Everything else you listed is not overkill for that size tank. Just take it slow adding no more than 2 at a time and wait at least 2 weeks between each new batch. Quarantine everything or buy pre-quarantined fish.

OP
OP
U

User 28262454

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is the hard part, everyone has a different opinion on these things. I still have a while to wait before I'm even ready to add a snail so I'll try to read up on it some more and decide what I'm gonna do.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea probably gonna set up a quarantine tank . just gotta do a bit of research on how to set them up and what I need to put in.
There just aren't many sources for pre-quarantined fish in Canada: Chris at Ethical Aquatics in Edmonton is essentially it, although BigShow Frags and Fragbox sometimes have quarantined fish for sale. Their stock, however, tends to be extremely limited. Biota captive-bred fish are also safer...ish, but stock is erratic and there's still a possibility of purchasing an infected fish.

Keep in mind that you won't have access to anything but copper (and perhaps Rally) if one of your incoming fish is infected with a parasitic disease. One of my tanks was nearly wiped out last August when I purchased a fish from one of the big online Canadian retailers...and didn't quarantine.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There just aren't many sources for pre-quarantined fish in Canada: Chris at Ethical Aquatics in Edmonton is essentially it, although BigShow Frags and Fragbox sometimes have quarantined fish for sale. Their stock, however, tends to be extremely limited. Biota captive-bred fish are also safer...ish, but stock is erratic and there's still a possibility of purchasing an infected fish.

Keep in mind that you won't have access to anything but copper (and perhaps Rally) if one of your incoming fish is infected with a parasitic disease. One of my tanks was nearly wiped out last August when I purchased a fish from one of the big online Canadian retailers...and didn't quarantine.
That makes quarantine even more necessary. There is the unfortunate side effect that proactive treatment is difficult or impossible, but if meds are not readily available, I wouldn't ever consider adding a fish to my display without at least 30 day observational quarantine.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the tang would be to big but the foxface would be just fine. All the others will be fine together I would recommend on a newer tank to only add a couple of fish at a time.

I think the opposite. I've seen much bigger foxfaces than I have tomini tangs. Agree with the rest though, solid stock list but pick either the foxface or tang.

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the opposite. I've seen much bigger foxfaces than I have tomini tangs. Agree with the rest though, solid stock list but pick either the foxface or tang.
Well personally i always seem to have better luck with the tangs in 90s or higher personally

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back