Too many plugs fix for DC power.

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a a bunch of plugs which I'm sure most of you do. So I came up with an idea for a reduction in plugs for any DC powered pumps and lights. Currently i have 2 in tank light bars, one power head and an ATO all with plugs the convertor AC to DC. Well my idea is simple I got a AC 120 volts to DC 12volts converter with a max load on the DC side of 150 Watts. Now from this convertor I'll run my 2 lights and my ATO. As for the power head it 24 volts so I also got a DC step up convertor from 12volts to 24volts. This will decrease the plugins I'm using by 3 and no more big power bricks that take up 2 plugs on my power strip. I haven't built it yet I'm waiting on parts and will update with pics after I build it. I have a drawing of my idea (not a great drawer) so you can see the idea. I can also get to a parts list if wanted total cost about $35.
IMG_20160630_105758937_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Zac

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why it posted multiplies of the same pic idk lol

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I hate all the power cords it takes for a reef tank. I surprised none of the manufacturers have done it. It would be perfect for Tunze to do. What 24 volt pumps are you using? Getting connectors to match what the pumps come with, would make it simple

OP
OP
Zac

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I hate all the power cords it takes for a reef tank. I surprised none of the manufacturers have done it. It would be perfect for Tunze to do. What 24 volt pumps are you using? Getting connectors to match what the pumps come with, would make it simple
I'm surprised as well. I have a Jebao that runs on 24volts. The setup unit I got can go anywhere between 4volts to 32volts I believe. I got the same 5.5mm connection all of pumps uses. I can't wait to build this and hopefully help other reefers!

OP
OP
Zac

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Finished product!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great! I have 4 LED strips with seperate bulky power supplies that have not been very reliable, so not only will this save outlets, but money replacing the power supplies, and probably be more reliable. Add in a few other components and it really makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the idea.

OP
OP
Zac

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great! I have 4 LED strips with seperate bulky power supplies that have not been very reliable, so not only will this save outlets, but money replacing the power supplies, and probably be more reliable. Add in a few other components and it really makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the idea.

That's great plan to help! I spent less than $40 on this project and came run a bunch of stuff with one plug.

henelay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This idea is AMAZING
I would love to reduce plugs but all of mine are AC

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back