Too many snails for 10g?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon frag/invert qt tank. Tomorrow I have 25 ceriths, 25 nerites, and a fighting conch coming. Is this too many snails for the 10g tank to handle for the duration of their quarantine period?

I used to qt snails in my 20g invert qt but now that houses a naughty reef lobster who enjoys eating snails and anything else alive. Thanks

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Way too many, yes. You might keep them alive if you feed them a lot of nori, but they'll starve if you leave them only with algae.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way too many, yes. You might keep them alive if you feed them a lot of nori, but they'll starve if you leave them only with algae.
Yeah that’s what i always did in my old invert qt to keep them fed. Always had a couple sheets of nori for them to graze on. I worry that if I do that in this smaller tank I might run into bioload issues? Especially because it’s just a bare bottom frag tank with a few pieces of rock.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should definitely be doing some large water changes on that tank. Snails don't have too much bioload, but 50+ snails is a lot in 10 gallons.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back