Too much flow? 2x maxspect gyre 330 and powerfilter

  • Thread starter Thread starter remy89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

remy89

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2023
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I'm wondering if I have too much flow in my aquarium. I have a Waterbox AIO 50.3 (160-170 liters).

From one of my earlier tanks I had a set of 2 maxspect gyre 330 pumps. Manual says they are individually good for 9000L/h. I don't run them for 100%, but approx 50% capacity.

On top of that, since I run the tank with the DSR method, my tank also contains a powerfilter. I have this one:

DSR Powerfilter up to 1000 liters of aquarium contains a Tunze Silence pump 1073.020 (200-2400 l / h) and a 25 mm PVC tube / basket.

This looks to me a bit overkill. The powerfilter is necessary for running DSR, but can I use 1 gyre instead of 2? Would that still be sufficient?

DSR-Powerfilter-tot-1000-liter.jpg
 
The gyres are overkill, yes. You want to augment flow anywhere from 10-40x your tank volume, so a max of 1600-6400 liters per hour. You may find that a single gyre @20-30% is more than sufficient.
 
Sorry to bring this back up, but can you show me some info on the powerfilter?

You think you would be able to fit it in the filter sock compartment of the sump?
Perhaps show some pictures?

I don't want to use filter socks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new