Too much flow for a torch?

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I'd say it's either too much or RIGHT on the edge of too much. But I'm curious about you all, I'm filling this tank with SPS next week though so don't want to cut back. Anyone who runs at this much flow or more without issues? It's actually growing well. If it's not going to rip the polyps off before then I may keep it here till my SPS grows in and breaks up the flow a bit.

I may be moving it to my smaller tank, it was kind of a test coral. Considering my options, thanks for any feedback!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is ok. Typically Euphyllia with too much flow will have polyps rip off or will shrink in size. Torches seem to tolerate flow better than others like it.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've kind of heard it was okay but never pushed it this much. He's been in there almost 3 months and hasn't lost a polyp. This is reef crest, there is a bit of nutrient export that is a little harder (same 40% though) for an hour and a half before lights off.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For torches, that’s perfect! The flow is random and keeping the tentacles off the skeleton or other sharp objects. That it’s still thriving should tell you all you need. I’ve seen them in more flow and in only one direction and they were happy and thriving there too. They aren’t the same as hammers and frogspawn where flow is concerned.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back