Too much flow?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a crossflow at one end of my tank on pulse mode and constant powerhead at the other, both near the surface.

I'm trying to split my tank into 3 sections. Softies left, lps middle and sps right. I have created good turbulence over the sps area on the right but the flow everywhere else is also pretty fast...or maybe its ok. The softies seem to miss the main stream. Ive turned bubbles on for the purpose of the video and ignore the terrible dino situation! What are your thoughts on my flow? Too much?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell for sure but usually if too strong they will close up. The torch on the sand may be too strong - they usually like gentler band and forth random flow than the uni-directional constant flow.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sps are fine. Zoas can deal with almost any flow. But you have a few LPS that look like they are getting a bit more than I'd give them.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is almost impossible to have to much flow. If you dive you will see where the waves break, corals that you wouldn't think could live there as well as the fish. Your flow is fine.
I have much more flow and have for decades.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sps are fine. Zoas can deal with almost any flow. But you have a few LPS that look like they are getting a bit more than I'd give them.
Which ones? I'll move the torch to a slower spot. Cheers

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine if it was a little more random and not constant. Looks like everything is being blasted to the left. Assuming that's all from your return I'd probably split and redirect it into one of move nozzles

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine if it was a little more random and not constant. Looks like everything is being blasted to the left. Assuming that's all from your return I'd probably split and redirect it into one of move nozzles
Thanks for the feedback. I have my crossflow on pulse . I find when I put it on random mode it doesn't move anywhere near as much water. I'll continue the experiments to see if i can get the direction more varied

Back