Too much flow?

santeeeyyy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2023
Messages
765
Reaction score
459
Location
Queen creek
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have these two power heads, they are both hyggers but the tiny one on the left was rated 1500 ghp and the one on the right has no flow control, but tis rated 500 gph, Now I know thats alot of flow for the left one, I turned it all the way down on its lowest setting and I saw it was still a little too little, I got this other powerhead on the right side to help fight the other one so I can have flow all around the tank. Should I remove one? I was told its too much and to try and test which powerhead helps with the flow more but the only reason I got two was to help find a middle ground for flow.Ignore the tank mess, I just got done medicating coral and feeding them as well, I havent topped it off yet or wiped the glass

IMG_1101.jpg IMG_1102.jpg
 
What kind of corals are you keeping?

on my 70g aquarium my return is actually at 500gph, 2 mp40’s @40% and 2 mp10’s on gyre 90%.

You can have lots of flow
 
What kind of corals are you keeping?

on my 70g aquarium my return is actually at 500gph, 2 mp40’s @40% and 2 mp10’s on gyre 90%.

You can have lots of flow
So i have 3 zoas, one clove polyp, one dunca, and a mushroom with a ancan I think? 3 of these corals I know very little about, Oh also I have a galaxia, Orginally I only wanted my clover, and my rasta zoas but I may have bought a mystery pack for a good deal
 
Those dont need a ton of flow. As long as sands not getting blown crazy as well as the corals arent getting whipped around super hard you should be good. My zoas seem to be ok with highish flow.

What size tank is it?
 
Those dont need a ton of flow. As long as sands not getting blown crazy as well as the corals arent getting whipped around super hard you should be good. My zoas seem to be ok with highish flow.

What size tank is it?
15 gal,its 15x15x15 in cube
 
15 gal,its 15x15x15 in cube

For a 15g with your coral selection, I would remove the 500gph powerhead, but keep the adjustable wavemaker. I'd dial it way back, then you can slowly increase it to a point where you get good polyp swaying and detritus getting kicked up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new