Too much or not enough light?

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a nightmare getting my lighting set up properly lately . I had a par meter that I lent to set the light up but since lost the schedule so I have no idea now. Il add sone picture to see if you can tell if these corals need more or less light (%)

On the torch you can see the tips are orand in sone places but faded in others but other torches next to it seem to have good colour .

18916928-CBE9-45A5-A3C8-AE561305AA63.jpeg image.jpg

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lights are you using and what are your current settings? Also lighting placement will help me answer your questions…. How high above the water line? How many units?

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lights are you using and what are your current settings? Also lighting placement will help me answer your questions…. How high above the water line? How many units?
Radion xr30g5 on the mount it comes with . I am running Lps/soft preset at 8% at the moment with the white turned down to 1%

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like an extremely low setting for LPS… torches can handle high par

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my gen 4 xr30 pros at 80% using ab+ settings. Looks like you are at 80% not 8…. Not sure about the gen 5 settings tho. You can try to crank it up 5% and see what happens

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching can be caused by other things such as water parameters and nutrient levels. Highly unlikely it’s the lights at 8%. You said 13” from the torch to the light? How far from the water is the light and how deep in the tank is the corals?

what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like you are running about 65% and only 9% of the 65%. So it's really running at about 6% full power

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching can be caused by other things such as water parameters and nutrient levels. Highly unlikely it’s the lights at 8%. You said 13” from the torch to the light? How far from the water is the light and how deep in the tank is the corals?

what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?
Nitrate about 8-10 and no idea of phos doesn’t show up on salifert text kit. All parameters agave been stable for 3+ months apart form phos thag I don’t know

ca 450
All 7.8 -8.0
Mg 1380

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate about 8-10 and no idea of phos doesn’t show up on salifert text kit. All parameters agave been stable for 3+ months apart form phos thag I don’t know

ca 450
All 7.8 -8.0
Mg 1380
Well corals need some phosphate too. Are you saying you have the salifert PO4 kit and it's not showing any color? 0 phosphate would be bad.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Hanna ULR phosphate tester so I have no experience with the Salifert. Sounds like you are not certain though. It's possible to have 1 PO4 but that would be crazy high. Might want to look into a different tester or have a LFS run a test. The corals look good other than the Goni. Try feeding a little? My Goni's like to be fed 2 -3x a week.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Hanna ULR phosphate tester so I have no experience with the Salifert. Sounds like you are not certain though. It's possible to have 1 PO4 but that would be crazy high. Might want to look into a different tester or have a LFS run a test. The corals look good other than the Goni. Try feeding a little? My Goni's like to be fed 2 -3x a week.
I’ll text again now thanks for the info. Aye I will try feeding the goni reef roids any good for goni?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back