Too much rock for sps?

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating whether I want an sps or lps tank. Im leaning towards the sps side since I already have a radion g6 light but I heard you needed an empty scape for sps since the corals become your aquascape.

Another question.. How much harder is an sps reef vs an lps reef vs mixed?

IMG_4281.jpeg IMG_4282.jpeg IMG_4280.jpeg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice 'scape. True sps will eventually become your scape, but they need a base....and IMO, yours looks ok. keep in mind that you can remove as needed. I keep a mixed reef, so cant really comment on sps vs lps vs mixed.....

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice 'scape. True sps will eventually become your scape, but they need a base....and IMO, yours looks ok. keep in mind that you can remove as needed. I keep a mixed reef, so cant really comment on sps vs lps vs mixed.....
Thank you :) My scape is glued together except the rocks that are separated so I can’t re arrange my scape that much.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how large you want your colonies. If you like having a million different small frags/colonies, you can keep more rock. If you planning on growing out your colonies, you will be trimming a lot. As far as which is easiest to keep, I think mixed is probably harder to keep then either all SPS or LPS, because they often require different enviroments (water flow, nutrients, light, etc).

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how large you want your colonies. If you like having a million different small frags/colonies, you can keep more rock. If you planning on growing out your colonies, you will be trimming a lot. As far as which is easiest to keep, I think mixed is probably harder to keep then either all SPS or LPS, because they often require different enviroments (water flow, nutrients, light, etc).
Would trimming corals hurt it in any way? Also how fast does sps grow in optimal conditions?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would trimming corals hurt it in any way? Also how fast does sps grow in optimal conditions?
No, doesn't hurt at all. Actually often helps spur more growth. Impossible to say how fast they grow though unfortunately. Depends on a ton of different factors (species, lighting, flow, nutrients levels, etc.) If you want, take a look at the last page of my build thread....I am currently trimming weekly. Earlier in that thread, it gives time stamps of when everything was just frags.

jkcoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d want less sandbed contact area to make it easier to keep clean. The biggest difference you’ll notice with SPS is the need for increased flow and increased sensitivity to nitrates and phosphates. So, the fewer areas when excess food and detritus can collect, the better.

OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d want less sandbed contact area to make it easier to keep clean. The biggest difference you’ll notice with SPS is the need for increased flow and increased sensitivity to nitrates and phosphates. So, the fewer areas when excess food and detritus can collect, the better.
On the 2nd picture the one facing the left side of the tank, should I break this rock in half to improve flow on the bottom and avoid food settling In there?

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 35

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back