Too much rock in Evo?

Zwingman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the large piece of live rock in the centre of my aquarium from a local guy as he was moving and I really wanted a nem.
The nem and polyps are doing great however I am wondering if this rock is too large for my tank. This is my first foray into saltwater and I want to ensure I leave my clowns enough room to swim around. Cutting it will be challenging based on all the button polyps and location of the nem. So if it’s too large I will have to move the whole piece.
This is the only piece of live rock in the tank, the rest was Marco dry rock which I cycled. All the coral and the nem are doing great and I just epoxied a birds of Paradise frag to the rock as well. I am looking for some input from other reefers to make sure I don’t have too much rock in there.

Livestock
2 clowns
1 BTA
2 astrea snails

IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
846A7E12-EEC2-4E20-B184-22695F319F1F.jpeg
1EBFA9E0-0395-4D65-9FFE-14265261F516.jpeg
It’s up to you. The more rock, the larger your surface area for filtration. But you have to make the decision as to how much space you want for any swimmers to actually use and visual appeal. That’s the downside of the pick and nano tanks.

OP
OP
Zwingman

Zwingman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys, I like the overall look and surface area for corals in the future. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t too much. This is pretty much all the livestock that will be going in. Maybe a coral angle but that would be it.

OP
OP
Zwingman

Zwingman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty angel? How big is that tank? Probably not a good idea there.

Oh no? Those were listed as a good nano reef fish when I searched. They grow too big? Tank isn’t very large, 13.5 gallons.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 29gal. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. 29 is even pushing it. They like to swim about in and out of the rocks work covering a lot of ground. I have a lot of rock work with tons of passageways, otherwise it would be banging against the glass. Also a cube has more vertical space than the horizontal space a coral beauty needs. my 29gal has about 30" of horizontal run.

watchman goby and a tail spot blenny offer tons of entertainment and take up little room making them ideal for a nano

PS, nice job on the rock work

Last edited:

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns don't need a lot of swimming room, but they're probably best left as the only 2 fish in there. Those polyps are palythoas, fun, simple... and pretty prolific. There's a change they overrun the rest of the rock and you decide to try and eliminate some or all of them. Precautions are simple enough (mask, gloves, goggles no splashing or hot water), but when mishandled they can be toxic to you. Make sure you do some reading on palytoxin if you aren't aware of it's potential danger.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, way way too small for a coral beauty. Those most certainly are not nano fish. I’d say 75 gallons minimum. They get pretty big and need major swimming and grazing real estate.

OP
OP
Zwingman

Zwingman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 29gal. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. 29 is even pushing it. They like to swim about in and out of the rocks work covering a lot of ground. I have a lot of rock work with tons of passageways, otherwise it would be banging against the glass. Also a cube has more vertical space than the horizontal space a coral beauty needs. my 29gal has about 30" of horizontal run.

watchman goby and a tail spot blenny offer tons of entertainment and take up little room making them ideal for a nano

PS, nice job on the rock work

Thanks for the info, I definitely don't want to put one in if there isn't enough room for them. I do really like the gobys so that would be a good option. Just need to get a mesh cover on the tank first. I hear they are jumpers lol

OP
OP
Zwingman

Zwingman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns don't need a lot of swimming room, but they're probably best left as the only 2 fish in there. Those polyps are palythoas, fun, simple... and pretty prolific. There's a change they overrun the rest of the rock and you decide to try and eliminate some or all of them. Precautions are simple enough (mask, gloves, goggles no splashing or hot water), but when mishandled they can be toxic to you. Make sure you do some reading on palytoxin if you aren't aware of it's potential danger.

Yeah honestly I am nervous about them overrunning the tank. I don't mind them on the current rock but would like the other rocks reserved for my new zoas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back