Too much rock?

JFanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. New to this hobby and this is my first reef tank. I have a Nuvo 30L AIO with 2 clown fish so far that I added 2 weeks ago. Upon looking at other Nuvo 30L tanks it seems like I have to much rock/ to high for when I get softies and LPS, as well as a couple for fish. So question, Is this too much rock. I feel like there is not enough room for the fish to swim around and no good places to put coral. If it is too much, would it be bad to maybe rearrange/ take some out with the 2 clowns in it already?
IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you put appropriate sized fish for a 30L i would not be concerned about them at all.

The only reason i would change it is if you dont like it or dont think you can put the types of coral you want where you want them. I mean those top pieces it would not make sense to put big leathers up there....but lots of corals you can(zoas, higher light encrusting corals, etc).

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks nice to me. The fish you would have in there will love to be in the nooks and crannies. :)

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it seems your fish can swim in the back too, as your rocks are not touching the glass. It looks fine to me.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In time, your rockwork and the corals inhabiting it will become the core of your biofiltration. You can have too little, but some folks say you can't have too much. I think it looks great and will just get better as you add coral. Can't wait to see how your tank progresses.

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much. But if you desire a cleaner look, remove 2 of the rocks on the left. Then you will have a little island with lot of space for fish too swim. The rocks can be compensated with bio-media :D

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's great. It would only be too high if you wanted to go with Acropora, which I certainly wouldn't as a beginner. Those are typically grown using 50% tank height to allow for upward growth. Yours is shallow and you have plenty of room around to place any taller softies or LPS (like hammers, frogspawn, etc.) on the bottom. Cool tank. Good luck!

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe shimmy the bottom rocks so they are deeper into the sand, the structure will be more stable. Did you put the rocks in first? Doing so creates a nice stable aquascape so that when you are trying to glue corals with glue/epoxy you don't end up toppling the structure.

I don't think it is a problem to rearrange the scape with your clowns in there. I have moved rocks around many times and never had an issue with stressing fish too much.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back