Too Old To Reef: How long do you expect to be in the hobby and will older age dictate when you break your tanks down for good?

How old do you think you'll be before you are too old to care for a reef tank?

• 50-60

Votes: 27 2.8%
  • 61-70

Votes: 79 8.1%
  • 71-80

Votes: 202 20.7%
  • 81-90

Votes: 129 13.2%
  • 90+

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • I'll reef until I die

Votes: 498 51.0%

• Total voters

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they put the last screw in the box. Or just use silicone.
Fish Tank.jpg

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can even be part of a reef after you croak:

Knowing my history and luck, I'd be covered in cyano and bubble algae....

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many reasons why people have to give up their reef tanks. But I've seen countless members say they will always have a reef tank in their life. That being said there will come a time when they might not be able to care for a reef anymore due to age. So let's talk about that for today.

How long do you expect to be in the hobby and will older age dictate when you break your tanks down for good?
Well, i’m 75 now and just getting started with a 30 gal, if i can maintain it and get my wife interested i want to go to a 100 gal
image via @ChristopherKriens
reefsavvy-4.jpg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
64 now and I think health and funds will decide for me. I own my business and work a lot but all things come to an end and when work stops so do my tanks. Been trying to get myself to agree to buy a 8 or 10 ft. Tank but age certainly is a big obstacle .
That’s the problem with you kids... just order the big tank and make yourself happy!

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They
I now have 1/2 my natural teeth. When they are gone I will prob be ready for the bone yard. So my best guess is in another 65 years.
ll have
As they put the last screw in the box. Or just use silicone.
Fish Tank.jpg
theyll have to pry the turkey baster from my cold dead hands

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 75 now and I picked 71 - 80. Probably another 5 years maybe. I was just calibrating the controller for a new pH probe yesterday and I know M@ry Ruth would never do that if she even knew it needed to be done. She knows who to call when I choke on a chicken bone. We're discussed that as well as the person to be called.

If my health holds up I guess I'll keep it up as long as I can carry a 5 gallon bucket of water from the laundry room to the sun room where the tanks are. I don't really enjoy it as much as I used to as there is always something needing to be done; but, I have asked myself what I'd be doing if I didn't have to keep these tanks going. I'll have to admit at times it can be a little stressful. Maybe I'll just downsize to the frag tank and let the others go. If somebody comes and waves pictures of dead presidents in front of my face it could happen pretty soon!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 17 now and plan on remaining fit and healthy as long as possible. I think I’ll be able to look after a large tank till 70 or 80 but after that I’ll probably have to downsize to a smaller reef but I don’t know how I will age especially since I do martial arts and plan on competing

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Christmas Day I will be 71 and have had a tank continuously for about 65 years.
Even when I was in Nam I had a tank at home. Of course no one took care of it so the only fish, a foot long catfish died 2 weeks before I came home. It was in two inches of slimy "water". ;Bucktooth

I recently sold my house and moved to a smaller condo. Next stop is a nursing home and if they will let me have a tank and a few nurses to take care of it, I will have a tank until I am sharing oxygen from a tank with the fish.

It is getting harder as my wife has MS and I am getting a new knee. It is new but it is rusty or something so they will tear it out again in February and put in a better model. Maybe made of titanium instead of the pressure treated wooden one they used last time from Home Depot. ;Wideyed

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have a reef tank just yet but have had freshwater tanks since high school about 10 years ago. Reef tank is in the works now and should be here between now and March. I know it will be upgraded to a 100+ Gallon tank when we get a house. Don’t have the tank and it’s already an addiction!

Its a hobby I can’t see getting old to me as I just love it all! I’ll be Reefing and fishing until I die of old age hopefully!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Christmas Day I will be 71 and have had a tank continuously for about 65 years.
Even when I was in Nam I had a tank at home. Of course no one took care of it so the only fish, a foot long catfish died 2 weeks before I came home. It was in two inches of slimy "water". ;Bucktooth

I recently sold my house and moved to a smaller condo. Next stop is a nursing home and if they will let me have a tank and a few nurses to take care of it, I will have a tank until I am sharing oxygen from a tank with the fish.

It is getting harder as my wife has MS and I am getting a new knee. It is new but it is rusty or something so they will tear it out again in February and put in a better model. Maybe made of titanium instead of the pressure treated wooden one they used last time from Home Depot. ;Wideyed
Harrr, I thought you are a least a good few years older than me but I am 70 on the 22nd Dec so your less than a year older than I am. My fingers have Arthur and my bladder has shrunk, prostrate is growing but I still have my hair well most of it even if it's a nice shade of silver. Have about half my teeth, I tried dentures but spit them out. Eyes went years ago and I have 2 hearing aids I can sometimes get the BBC radio on if I get on top of a hill or scale a telegraph mast. Sometimes I forget what I forgot and can't remember if I ever knew it in thķe first place. They say growing old doesn't come alone, well if I ever meet him am going to kick his butt along with the grim reaper. Actually he may ask me to sharpen his sickle. I hope to live long enough to be an embarrassment to my children all 5 of them. In fact I think I have accomplished that already but I have 9 grandchildren who seem to enjoy that fact.

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reef tank that I loved until 20 years ago when I moved to Manhattan. Now that I am retired and living in my own home in Connecticut I just set up a new 110g and I just turned 62. My tank is set up with Tunze ATO and I have a DOS set up to do water changes, so there is very little physical work involved. Hopefully I can keep at it until I die, but you never know what health issues might come up, but it would take something major to get me to stop.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure by 70 I'll be done reefing...that gives me 20 more years. I'll probably be working and lifting buckets, etc. at work until I'm 60 and assume if parts don't give out I'll continue to do so. My wife and I are starting to think about the golden years, we want to travel, but we are also pet people and there is the cost of travel and pet/reef sitting.

There are so many things around my home state to keep me busy when I retire so I could see continuing a tank until I can't physically do it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back