Too Sad To Reef

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys lately ive been really down and sad due to my anxiety I kind of dont want to talk about the issue but rather I would like some positive, happy energy from you all, main reason being I have not done a water change on my 75 gallon reef in a month and also I have my fish in QT due to ich...but the time has come where they are ready to be transferred back into to reef, however I have not been myself lately and have not been motivated to do what use to make me the happiest which is reefing and going to fish stores...i cant even rememebr the last time I went to my LFS or bought anything for the reef...anyway send your positive energy this way and give me some motivation to get it going!!!!! Also my reef is covered in algae and its really bad!! lol Ill post up some pics before and after water changes! Thanks guys!

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been where youre at tons of times as I also have a myriad of mh problems and for me, I can get back into it by starting with 1 or 2 aquarium tasks a day. Its best to not dwell on the total issue and make it into manageable tasks.

Good luck I know you got this!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish bring you happiness and peace then make it a goal to sit in front of the tank for 30mins or so a day. It really helps calm me down and the more i watch the more engaged i want to be. I notice when im really busy and dont watch it as much i quickly fall behind in maintenance and testing too.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are overrated (triton method ftw) and I bet in 15 minutes you could clean all the algae off the glass , fish don’t care how you feeling they depend on you , make life as good as possible for them and they wil reward you by being happy , healthy , and lively. We’ve all lost touch with the reef amoung other things , but get the energy back and be proud of the ocean in yr home

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry you are feeling the way you are. It’s understandable how you can feel the way you do. There is so much to make us depressed. However please remember that each day gives us an opportunity for a better day. As mentioned above take things in small slices and you will get thru. Try sitting down and writing out a game plan for your tank and be realistic in your expectations for both yourself and your tank. Also remember we are here to help as well.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% get it, 100% been there, my advice and I am preaching to myself. Don’t make mountains out of mole hills. Your tanks need some love and the fish need to go into the big tank.

So time to NOT do that ASAP, lol because that’s going to prolong your slump. Go outside get some fresh air. Workout if that’s your thing, it always makes me feel good. Go to the lake or the beach whatever your closer to. But get outside with some fresh air, give yourself 1-2 days to chill out and relax in some good ol sunshine. Then on the third day, whip that tank into shape, overfeed your fish ( I know that makes me happy lol) and get back to your old self.

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all really motivated me and put some good vibes in me...here are some not so good vibes lol I let it get really bad..if you notice anything major or negative that needs attention please let me know...for example dinos which I think I have ???

3C2E5569-3862-43DF-9795-10EA360DDE60.jpeg 867E8BB7-82F4-4842-B3F0-57B9B9C67BE5.jpeg A0151E2B-2F22-4034-8778-1D020656B959.jpeg 57460D2D-8CAE-454A-A98E-1DD5BD42BCA9.jpeg D651CE9C-99C9-484C-ABBD-36AEF2EDC291.jpeg 3AD92A67-06F2-46FC-BD47-5AD3E3472741.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you all really motivated me and put some good vibes in me...here are some not so good vibes lol I let it get really bad..if you notice anything major or negative that needs attention please let me know...for example dinos which I think I have ???

3C2E5569-3862-43DF-9795-10EA360DDE60.jpeg 867E8BB7-82F4-4842-B3F0-57B9B9C67BE5.jpeg A0151E2B-2F22-4034-8778-1D020656B959.jpeg 57460D2D-8CAE-454A-A98E-1DD5BD42BCA9.jpeg D651CE9C-99C9-484C-ABBD-36AEF2EDC291.jpeg 3AD92A67-06F2-46FC-BD47-5AD3E3472741.jpeg
This is hair algae and dino. This recipe will turn this around:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and pull hair algae by hand and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has been stated well above. Just try to do one thing a day for the tank. Take time for yourself too. Sometimes working on my tank will energize me when nothing else works. I can focus on the task (for ex. ridding the hair algae) and take my time with some music and picking at it. Find a task that gets you in, but not overwhelmed.
Then, find your favorite donut shop and eat one and watch the sunset. Granted, I really like donuts. :)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @aquakj ... Thank you for trusting us with your situation. This last year has taught us all that our community needs to extend beyond our neighborhood. Places like this give us all a safe place to interact and feel human. Jump in, chat us up... tell a joke, share a GIF. We're all in this together.
Don't get overwhelmed. Remember that all of our problems are small compared to the vastness of the ocean. Every problem that has ever been solved starts with one small step.
If you are a believer... this got me through some incredibly dark days...
Psalm 144 1-2
Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you 100% man. My reef and especially torch was the only thing that would touch my PTSD. Then my torch died.
I let the tank get run over with cyano and gha. Then I forced myself to get back into it. I chose this hobby and the things that live in my reef totally depend on me.
Since then my reef has never been better and my little "break" gave me some space to learn and reenergize.
Be strong. Im sending you a wave of power. Reach out into the universe and tell it what you need.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has been stated well above. Just try to do one thing a day for the tank. Take time for yourself too. Sometimes working on my tank will energize me when nothing else works. I can focus on the task (for ex. ridding the hair algae) and take my time with some music and picking at it. Find a task that gets you in, but not overwhelmed.
Then, find your favorite donut shop and eat one and watch the sunset. Granted, I really like donuts. :)
glazed donuts GIF
krispy kreme donut GIF
Do you dream about the hot donuts at Krispy Kreme, too?

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. You're not alone. I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years. I highly recommend therapy. it's not over night but I know it's helped. Anyway I know you don't want to talk about that. Try going into an LFS. See if it ignites that passion. I know also how it is to have anxiety and depression and just not want to do ANYTHING. You feel lazy but you're really not. Take small steps. Maybe start by just cleaning the glass. That's all don't worry about getting the fish out of QT or water changes. Just do what you can and if that's simply replacing a filter pad. Start with that. Also if you really have lost passion for the hobby there is nothing wrong with getting out of it but I would highly suggest going to an lfs (or even a public aquarium) to see if you can "feel" it again. Good luck and feel free to PM me. I have been in some dark places and will listen if you need it.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in a similar situation and the only thing I found that worked was to do one or two small things each day. When you get a bit better, then up it to three. Also, sitting and just tank watching is a true joy. I've spent more hours than I care to admit to just watching it.

I've dealt with mh issues my whole life and can sympathize. If you want to talk I'd be glad to listen.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys lately ive been really down and sad due to my anxiety I kind of dont want to talk about the issue but rather I would like some positive, happy energy from you all, main reason being I have not done a water change on my 75 gallon reef in a month and also I have my fish in QT due to ich...but the time has come where they are ready to be transferred back into to reef, however I have not been myself lately and have not been motivated to do what use to make me the happiest which is reefing and going to fish stores...i cant even rememebr the last time I went to my LFS or bought anything for the reef...anyway send your positive energy this way and give me some motivation to get it going!!!!! Also my reef is covered in algae and its really bad!! lol Ill post up some pics before and after water changes! Thanks guys!

I hear you. When the tank and I are both in a bad place, I feel the same way. All I know that when the tank is in a better place, I get more excited about it and I start to feel better overall.

Be well

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate my anxiety! I worry about nothing and everything. All the time. Lol

"And i heard the voice of the lord! It said whom shall i send? Who will go for us? And i said
Here am i. Send me. "
-fury and the bible. Lol.
D

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s all great advise. Find one thing you can do. Force yourself once to do it. It will be easier a second time. Now you have the beginnings of a routine. Maybe this can help you smile. This is my 3 year old autistic daughter checking is the fish’s hearts are healthy. She says good morning and goodnight to all the fish and coral every day. She loves them so much. This can easily turn back to a hobby to get your mind off all the negatives out there. It’s done that for me. 9386AB49-7E0C-4F72-AD40-9EBBBC6BB84D.jpeg You got this. Fine one thing to do and remember it will make a difference. Small goals. Always small goals. The end will be in sight before you know it.

Back