Top off with distilled?

ClearwaterReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always done top off with distilled in my FOWLR. I do water changes with Rodi. Can I still top off with distilled for a reef tank? (32 biocube)

I don't have rodi onsite. I get from a windmill in a grocery store parking lot. LOL. Florida... link below.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You can but distilled often has a lower ph from the steam process
RO is the best choice

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo distilled water doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets. Distillation is just another way to purify water. Properly distilled water will have 0 TDS. No problem at all topping off your tank with 0TDS water.

LeftCoastRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that any water purchased from any machine supplying drinking water is RODI water suitable for being used in a reef aquarium. A home RODI system for a reef aquarium is designated to remove as many chemicals and dissolved minerals as possible. This results in bland tasting drinking water. Most grocery store water machines will do reverse osmosis and then add some minerals for taste. This in NOT what you want in your reef tank. Steam distilled water is okay to use for water changes and topping off. Best to either find a LFS that supplies RODI water or another local reefer that will share their RODI water. That, or just buy a 4 or 5 stage stage RODI system for yourself...eventually it will pay for itself.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that any water purchased from any machine supplying drinking water is RODI water suitable for being used in a reef aquarium. A home RODI system for a reef aquarium is designated to remove as many chemicals and dissolved minerals as possible. This results in bland tasting drinking water. Most grocery store water machines will do reverse osmosis and then add some minerals for taste. This in NOT what you want in your reef tank. Steam distilled water is okay to use for water changes and topping off. Best to either find a LFS that supplies RODI water or another local reefer that will share their RODI water. That, or just buy a 4 or 5 stage stage RODI system for yourself...eventually it will pay for itself.

No one advised the OP to buy store drinking water, the OP was advised that Store distilled water was fine to use for a reef tank, which it is.

LeftCoastRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one advised the OP to buy store drinking water, the OP was advised that Store distilled water was fine to use for a reef tank, which it is.
OP states he uses RODI from a Windmill water station for water changes. Looking at the Windmill website, they state they provide quality drinking water. I was suggesting that may not be best for using in a reef tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP states he uses RODI from a Windmill water station for water changes. Looking at the Windmill website, they state they provide quality drinking water. I was suggesting that may not be best for using in a reef tank.
That he did.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took it that was where he was getting his Rodi water from...either way the fact still remains that distilled water is fine to use, if the distilled water has elements etc added to it then it is no longer distilled water, so no it’s not good to use. But distilled water is perfectly fine to use.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on wal mart distilled for about 14 yrs straight.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back