Torch coral dying

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I see what you are staying however that first photo with the arrow is a torch that I just recently glued there after removing it from the main colony and I just sat the candy cane up there temporarily while I pulled the main colony out to remove some of the heads but I can see how it looks like they were stinging each other. On the other hand so far no more brown jelly on the other heads yet fingers crossed

What's working?

OP
OP
Harris4g63

Harris4g63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update and 4 more heads infected and I had to remove them. The strange thing is the heads that were infected were not in proximity to any other corals so the sweeper hypothesis can be put to rest also when coral are stung the flesh is damaged and there are signs of it the symptoms here are a small blob growing on the coral then within a couple of hours turns into a large blob fully engulfing the coral leaving behind a with skeleton . This is what brown jelly disease looks like which has been confirmed by lfs and unfortunately it has two run its course. What I also find odd is how it is only showing up in one colony of torches and thus far no other corals seemed to be affected. So far 7 heads have been wiped out with only 6 more heads left.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a noob question, but what I’d BJD? I have a couple euphilia that has that brown jelly stuff but it went away (or at least seems to have) and things are recovering. Just wondering what I may be dealing with

OP
OP
Harris4g63

Harris4g63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my last torch coral infected with brown jelly. This is the last of 40 euphillia in my tank all succumbed to this disease. I have have a couple of acans left. Well I guess on the bright side no reason now to upgrade to the 240 especially after the wife watched all the coral melt and said "do you know how much money all those corals costed" RIP LOL. I'll leave it fish only
20190721_163351.jpeg

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my last torch coral infected with brown jelly. This is the last of 40 euphillia in my tank all succumbed to this disease. I have have a couple of acans left. Well I guess on the bright side no reason now to upgrade to the 240 especially after the wife watched all the coral melt and said "do you know how much money all those corals costed" RIP LOL. I'll leave it fish only
20190721_163351.jpeg
Any idea what causes the Brown Jelly Disease (BJD)?

OP
OP
Harris4g63

Harris4g63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what causes the Brown Jelly Disease (BJD)?
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you as I have lost 90% of my euphillia coral. The only thing I can say is that it came out of nowhere because I haven't added any new frags in over a year. I wasn't able to cure any of my infected coral although I spent countless dollars on all the different remedies recommended here so that's to say let it run its course then revisit the idea of adding coral

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you as I have lost 90% of my euphillia coral. The only thing I can say is that it came out of nowhere because I haven't added any new frags in over a year. I wasn't able to cure any of my infected coral although I spent countless dollars on all the different remedies recommended here so that's to say let it run its course then revisit the idea of adding coral
I had the exat same thing happen a couple years back. Lost every euphyllia in my tank(which was quite a few). left the tank coralless for about 6 months. Tried again, and I have a huge frogspawn. Only euphyllia currently in my tank.

OP
OP
Harris4g63

Harris4g63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exat same thing happen a couple years back. Lost every euphyllia in my tank(which was quite a few). left the tank coralless for about 6 months. Tried again, and I have a huge frogspawn. Only euphyllia currently in my tank.
OK that's actually what I was planning on doing. I was thinking just let the tank go with fish only for a few months then slowly repopulate. Thanks for the inspiration!

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't seem to see any brown jelly in mine. They get slightly more pale then just pull away from the skeleton base. I believe I have a low Phosphate issue though
IMG_20190809_132420.jpeg
IMG_20190809_132436.jpeg

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip regiment
1. Coral rx
2. Melafix
3. Restore
4. Melafix
5. Back to tank.

saw what I thought was BJD on a shipped torch. Left it in melafix until I saw the brown bubble disappear.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing here. Lost all my euphillia, candy canes too, for no reason. It was out of nowhere and it swept my corals in a matter of 2 days. This happened 6 months ago and to this day i have softies only.. im afraid to add more LPS only for them to die..

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip regiment
1. Coral rx
2. Melafix
3. Restore
4. Melafix
5. Back to tank.

saw what I thought was BJD on a shipped torch. Left it in melafix until I saw the brown bubble disappear.
Are there any different between Melafix (for both fresh and saltwater) and Melafix Marine?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are there any different between Melafix (for both fresh and saltwater) and Melafix Marine?
Not much but Melafix is a tonic with teak tree oil and necessarily a medication/treatment

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only strength.
Melafix contains 1.00% of the active ingredient
Melafix Marine contains 1.5% of the active ingredient
Melafix Pond contains 5% of the active ingredient

Just need to adjust your dosage depending on which one you use.
I use the pond (5%) version since the cost difference wasn't much, just need to use less per dip.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip regiment
1. Coral rx
2. Melafix
3. Restore
4. Melafix
5. Back to tank.

Hi Paston1, May I know how you administer the above dip regime... like you would do continues dip (one after one) in that sequence or after 24 hours, etc?

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paston1, May I know how you administer the above dip regime... like you would do continues dip (one after one) in that sequence or after 24 hours, etc?
7 minutes each
1.Coral rx
2. Bath
3. Melafix
4. Bath
5. Iodine
6. Bath
7. Frag recover
8. Revive.

I don’t know why I put Melafix 2x it’s designed to work against bacteria.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 minutes each
1.Coral rx
2. Bath
3. Melafix
4. Bath
5. Iodine
6. Bath
7. Frag recover
8. Revive.

I don’t know why I put Melafix 2x it’s designed to work against bacteria.
Great thanks.
A few add on questions..
1. in the case of redipping of corals after been in DT for awhile because of any issues, should I follow the same regiment?
2. I got these iodine from the drug store, can i use them for iodine dipping?

20210922_120426.jpg
20210922_120417.jpg

Screenshot_20210922-150643_Watsons SG.jpg
Screenshot_20210922-150550_Watsons SG.jpg

Thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back