Torch Coral issue - Please help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefjonny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefjonny

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2020
Messages
56
Reaction score
22
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some information on my torch coral. I've had him for about 8 months in a 45 gallon along with the following:

- Zoas
- Polys
- Kenya Tree
- Leather corals
- hairy mushrooms
- green mushrooms
- green star polyps
FISH
- 2 maroon clowns
- 1 yellow tang

I've never had an issue but did feed the corals for the first time this Sunday, using Reef Roids. All the corals look great including the torch until late afternoon when he began to tighten up. I also noticed a long string coming from him that looks like tentacle material but all torn up. See pics below:

Pic #1 Torch looking normal
Pic #2 Torch retracted with what I think is a damaged tentacle

torch looking good.png long string coral damage.jpg
 
At Brandon - The Torch does generally have a single tentacle that's extra long. It occasionally connects to rocks around where it is placed. Is looks exactly like the other tentacles perhaps slightly thinner. Is that a "sweeper," tentacle? I'm unfamiliar with how they let go of waste. Thank you for the response.

Fred - I turned off the filtration so I wouldn't lose any of the coral food to the filtration system. I then added roughly a 1/4 teaspoon of reef roids mixed with water into the aquarium. I waited 20 minutes or so in efforts until water was completely clear and then resumed filtration. Thank you for the response.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new