Torch coral issues -

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went overboard with this highlighter torch in direct flow and appear to have BLASTED a head off it. Is that head toast or can I salvage it?

FD51B3CE-7901-444F-BB63-D156101C8B57.jpeg FC8A52F6-831E-4A99-A160-B4FD098B44BB.jpeg D4B262B8-065F-4923-ADD0-72006C7322BF.jpeg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen worse recover. Most likely that head will just drop off, but if you take the colony and leave it in lower flow it is certainly possible for it it to fully recover.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put in low flow and feed it more to help it recover as long as the parameters are stable. I had almost lost hammer and torch before. Feeding reef roids or AB+ brought them back.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went overboard with this highlighter torch in direct flow and appear to have BLASTED a head off it. Is that head toast or can I salvage it?

FD51B3CE-7901-444F-BB63-D156101C8B57.jpeg FC8A52F6-831E-4A99-A160-B4FD098B44BB.jpeg D4B262B8-065F-4923-ADD0-72006C7322BF.jpeg
Do you see any flat worms on them? Sometimes that kills them.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah it was totally flow. I shoulda known better. It was in the direct line of flow from my gyre.
Good AB+ and reef Roids increase growth by 20% so if you feed them they will get back to their old size faster. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You think I should dip it? If it drops this head wanna trim it for me? :D
Dont dip - already stressed.
A/B and roids not much of a meal for them. Feed Mysis and brine shrimp.
Euphyllia requires Stable tank conditions, and is intolerant to major swings in water quality, and is sensitive to almost any level of copper in the water. Since they are a large polyp stony coral, calcium and alkalinity are two very important water parameters that will affect the growth of your coral. This coral will start to die off if the calcium levels are too low. A calcium level of about 400 ppm is just right.
This coral species isn’t terribly picky when it comes to the proper placement in your tank. The trick would really be just to avoid the extremes. Avoid extremely bright locations or areas of very high current, and avoid areas that are too dark or with currents that are too low. Fast currents risk damaging the soft, fleshy polyps (and getting an infection). Bright lights will cause bleaching. Insufficient lighting will cause the poor coral to wither away and starve to death.
Hammer corals only require a moderate amount of light for photosynthesis and can grow well in the intermediate regions of your tank. Just about any reef LED lighting should be sufficient for most tanks. Reduce white light intensity and get it off the sand bed which sand can irritate it.
The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.
The hammer coral is considered to be an aggressive coral species that will attack its neighbors with sweeper tentacles. These are stinging nematocysts (similar to the sting of an anemone) on the end of a specialized polyp that can extend several inches away from the body of the coral. The sweeper tentacles pack a punch and will chemically burn any neighboring corals.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back