Torch coral/LPS issues

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I have a 10 gallon reef tank that I have been running for 10 months. I've had corals in it for some time and everything was good. Recently my LPS and torch started having issues. The polyps are reteacted and they look bad. I haven't seen any evidence of BJD. Any advice? I dont want to lose them :/ my softies look good (mushrooms and zoas)

Water parameters: (Tropic Marin)
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 77.8
Alk - 8.1 (thats my normal)
Calcium - 455
Mag - 1340
Phosphate - .04
Nitrate - 3

6081569791.jpg 6081570331.jpg 6081575211.jpg

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is flow? Low flow I find over time will cause LPS to not be so happy.

zapbap99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna have to be honest that looks like a ton of algae down there i dont know if thats correct phosphate and nitrate you sure? otherwise its needs more flow from the looks or less flow

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna have to be honest that looks like a ton of algae down there i dont know if thats correct phosphate and nitrate you sure? otherwise its needs more flow from the looks or less flow
I agree. Recently there has been a huge bloom of GHA and I dont know where it came from. I used Hanna Checkers for Phosphate and my LFS for Nitrate. And this was it when it was healthy

20200303_173432.jpg

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae can be causing the issue, fighting the coral for the nutrients. Maybe a series of water changes will help.

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do weekly water changes at 20% for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also, try different placements in the tank. Maybe with an area of more flow to get it going again. Nitrates and phosphates are likely low due to algae uptake.

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do weekly water changes at 20% for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also, try different placements in the tank. Maybe with an area of more flow to get it going again. Nitrates and phosphates are likely low due to algae uptake.
I'll give it a shot! Should I try to hand pick the algae as well during changes?

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, try to hand pick and siphon as much as possible. Do you have any better photos of the algae?

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, try to hand pick and siphon as much as possible. Do you have any better photos of the algae?
At the moment, no. I'm at work but I'll try to get some tomorrow. It looks like GHA and its growing on my zoa plugs pretty good.

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the plugs so you can brush off the GHA and pull off and siphon whatever is on the rocks that’s a good start. Try not to brush the rocks in the tank as it will just cause the spores to grab a hold elsewhere on the rocks.

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the plugs so you can brush off the GHA and pull off and siphon whatever is on the rocks that’s a good start. Try not to brush the rocks in the tank as it will just cause the spores to grab a hold elsewhere on the rocks.
I've been trying to pull them off the past few days. It feels like they come back in force lol
I feel like everything took an odd turn when I knocked my aqauscape over during a WC

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you can, take a couple good pics of the algae to make sure it’s not Dino’s. Manual removal and water changes for a few weeks is where I would start first. Your tank is very small so swings in water parameters can happen very quickly. Good thing is a water changes and thinga should start moving the right direction.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back