torch coral not looking good

dutchreefer8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heey

A few months ago I got a new torch coral. And now I am noticing that the tissue is reseeding, the mouth of the coral is also very big and the colors don’t look as they did before. I thought it might me a pest of some sort so I dipped it but nothing weird came off it. While I was dipping I noticed that the skeleton looks weird on one side of the coral. I do feed my corals 2 times a week because my nitrates and phosphates where low for a long time. I am dosing both of those now. I do have other torches and also some hammer coral and they are all looking verry healthy. I don’t know what I need to do. I hope someone can help.

Parameters

Kh: 9.2

Calcium: 420

Mag: 1250

phos: 0.07

Nitrate: 0.03

Attachments

• torch coral.pdf
    721.5 KB · Views: 108

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm kind of new to torch corals. But I will do my best and hope when the experts arrive they can correct me.

From my own experience, torches are very sensitive. Mine is still recovering from shipping for the past few weeks.
Do you know your par? I had mine under 100 par and it did not like that. Had to reduce to 75 par.
How about water flow?
Salinity levels? They like things between 1.025 and 1.027
How is your ph?
Do you have any dips if brown jelly takes place? It's looking very irritated.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you've had it for a few months, and all your other corals are fine and only this torch has a problem only on one side of it, could it be getting stung by another coral?

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well… it’s splitting, so that’s good. BUT… there’s what looks to be a huge chunk of skeleton missing from the backside of one of the heads… has it always been this way?

OP
OP
D

dutchreefer8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx for the quick reactions. my salinity is at 1.024 and i don’t know my ph and par. but it is on a rock almost at the bottom in the middle of the tank and it is standing alone and no other coral can reach it. it was already beginning to split when i bought it an i didn’t notice the missing chunks then so i don’t know if they were already there.

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May want to start dipping… there have been a lot of torches bailing heads here recently and no one seems to know why. My torches have weathered all kinds of stuff quite literally (I’m in Houston) and I haven’t killed them thus far, and they’re growing like crazy… I’ll kill any sps in a matter of days though lol What livestock do you have? Possible lps grazer?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May want to start dipping… there have been a lot of torches bailing heads here recently and no one seems to know why. My torches have weathered all kinds of stuff quite literally (I’m in Houston) and I haven’t killed them thus far, and they’re growing like crazy… I’ll kill any sps in a matter of days though lol What livestock do you have? Possible lps grazer?
3 months I spent losing corals. Every morning a small frag of zoas was moved back to a certain spot in my tank. They never got eaten. Moved the frag, next day it was gone back to where it had been. Thought I was going crazy. The zoas around it got eaten.

Decide to use Red light and a webcam one night. Fast forward the cam. Lights off, red light on, tv off, everyone heads to bed. Some time later the zoa frag gets moved to the side and out comes something from your nightmares. I giant thick Eunice worm sticks it’s head out and proceeds to search my entire tank for food, all without fully removing himself from his den. He then goes back into his home near morning and closes the door.

This was in a 29g biocube. I tore down the tank to get him and he was HUGE…like wrap himself front to back in the tank 3-4 times huge.

Never rule out hitchhikers. These creatures’ ninja game is stronger than you can imagine

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Difficult to know if it's getting munched on. The tissue recession could be due to flow. I can hardly figure my indo torch out.
And yes, those eunice worms can be monsters.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to know if it's getting munched on. The tissue recession could be due to flow. I can hardly figure my indo torch out.
And yes, those eunice worms can be monsters.

More recently I lost a $2,500 “Indo dragon soul Jesus rising disco biscuit torch” my wife . I put it in my tank, it split and grew into many heads, then it unceremoniously got worse and died. Shortly thereafter I lost acans and a Duncan. I am not sure why as my SPS, anemones, and softies were fine.

I have just put more acans, a frogspawn, a Duncan, and a golden octospawn and I’m hopeful whatever was in the tank cleared.

Could be brown jelly disease (which is probably just a common term for inexplicable euphllyia necrosis). Moving flow, position, and even tanks did nothing for mine.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the newly shipped torch coral that are sensitive. my torches lasted a 2 week blackout (no power, no light) with just an airpump and 70's F after a derecho storm in Iowa. ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

OP
OP
D

dutchreefer8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what sort of dips do you mean? i have dipped it in coral rx pro 2 times now and no pests came off.

OP
OP
D

dutchreefer8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More recently I lost a $2,500 “Indo dragon soul Jesus rising disco biscuit torch” my wife . I put it in my tank, it split and grew into many heads, then it unceremoniously got worse and died. Shortly thereafter I lost acans and a Duncan. I am not sure why as my SPS, anemones, and softies were fine.

I have just put more acans, a frogspawn, a Duncan, and a golden octospawn and I’m hopeful whatever was in the tank cleared.

Could be brown jelly disease (which is probably just a common term for inexplicable euphllyia necrosis). Moving flow, position, and even tanks did nothing for mine.
ouch that hurts. i dont think it is brown jelly disease because i dont sea brown jelly it justs seems iritated. i think i will try moving it to a lower flow and lower light area

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back