Torch Coral tips browning

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I hope someone could help me out with my torch coral. I just got it around 10 days ago. As you can see in the pictures, some of the tips are browning, or look really dark(I've circled in red), it's kinda hard to catch how it actually looks in pictures, I used white light for the picture.
The coral in the image, the coral is receded bc I dipped in max strength coralRX, I'll take a picture later of how it usually looks, but it is just those circled areas that are somewhat receded, all other parts of the coral look just fine. It is currently place in an area that gets around 100 PAR and it has varying flow that is not too strong. I'm fairly certain its not BJD since this has been an issue that has been persisting for a few days, this is the second time I dipped it since bringing it home.
I also have several other torch corals that have been in the system for a really long time, and they are still doing just fine.
Thanks for reading.

My water params:
9.3dKh
450ppm Ca
1366 ppm Mg
~0.1ppm PO4
~3-5 ppm NO3

t1.jpg t2.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,pretty sure not bjd,poss just a few damaged tips from transport ,both heads,same area if were laying on side in bag,dip,?? :)

Johnny_xb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor to see if any of your fish are picking at it? Got rid of a blue tang because it started to pick at my torches tentacles.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that it looks like it's getting picked on and that is damage from where a fish might have nipped it. I've had all kinds of fish do stuff like that to my coral. I would be proactive about trying to solve the issue because stuff like this can result in a coral infection.

OP
OP
Willu

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that it looks like it's getting picked on and that is damage from where a fish might have nipped it. I've had all kinds of fish do stuff like that to my coral. I would be proactive about trying to solve the issue because stuff like this can result in a coral infection.
Monitor to see if any of your fish are picking at it? Got rid of a blue tang because it started to pick at my torches tentacles.
I don't believe that it is fish, I only have a yellow watchman goby and a royal gramma, it is also sitting on a frag rack so no crabs can get at it. And I work right next to the tank, so as far as I have seen nothing has been nipping on it.
After dipping it looked a lot better, so I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to see if its really gotten better.
Thanks for the insight

OP
OP
Willu

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,pretty sure not bjd,poss just a few damaged tips from transport ,both heads,same area if were laying on side in bag,dip,?? :)
Yeah that might be the case, it did look much better after the dip, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can actually tell. Thanks for the insight :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back