Torch Coral

Lucia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone ‍
I love the Torch Corals, I just think they’re cool and I want a home for my clowns.
I was wondering when would be the best time to add them to the tank?
It’s 2 weeks old, everything seems to be running smoothly all the chemicals are balanced, etc, but I don’t want to start adding things too quickly and then get disappointed if they don’t thrive.
((walk before run, kinda thing))
so yeah, just want some advice really.
Thanks

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone ‍
I love the Torch Corals, I just think they’re cool and I want a home for my clowns.
It’s 2 weeks old, everything seems to be running smoothly all the chemicals are balanced, etc, but I don’t want to start adding things too quickly and then get disappointed if they don’t thrive.
Thanks
Torches are among the most sensitive of the euphyllia. I’d try something like a hammer first and if that goes well then I’d say that you’re good. If you’re wanting a hardy coral that your clowns will love them duncan are a good option as well. Your tank is still very young though, how did you set it up?

OP
OP
Lucia

Lucia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it up mainly with water tbh... joking.
We set it up with a bottle of colony and 2 clowns.
But I think you’re right, I’ll wait a while, don’t want to rush something and it just falls flat.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a couple months. Some people will add coral as soon as a tank cycles, however, those people typically have a lot of experience. As a fellow newer reefer I think letting a tank settle for a couple of months and then adding corals is a good idea. Especially with something like a torch that can be costly and more sensitive. Here is my tank a year and a half in. Slow and steady wins the race.

FTS14 11.28.20.jpg

OP
OP
Lucia

Lucia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a beaut tank!
Yeah, I’ll let it all settle and do it’s thing for a bit. I think I’m just overly keen with it all haha! My other half keeps telling me this, he had a marine tank a few years ago.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone ‍
Thanks
In the end any coral that your clowns host will become agitated over time and will decline in health.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end any coral that your clowns host will become agitated over time and will decline in health.
I hate to disagree, but I disagree. I’ve got several pairs of clowns hosting right now and none of the corals have shown any stress except for like the first week of the clowns hosting. Duncan, torch, hammer, toadstool, GSP, colt coral, etc and not a single one has declined in health at all. They get used to the clowns being there and adapt to them. Proof that a sensitive coral like hammer can host a clown with no issues, she’s been in there for 8 months now 24/7
EF652417-BFA2-43FF-AF75-4FB497E103E9.jpeg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a beaut tank!
Yeah, I’ll let it all settle and do it’s thing for a bit. I think I’m just overly keen with it all haha! My other half keeps telling me this, he had a marine tank a few years ago.
Hes probably right, I would give it a while. A Duncan will live through anything and I’ve had one since the beginning as one of my first corals. The clowns love it and if you give it some flow the tentacles become nice and long. They come in purple, green, and purple tentacles with a green center (what I have).
3AF88B15-7998-45C8-9069-B10142D09B9B.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to disagree, but I disagree. I’ve got several pairs of clowns hosting right now and none of the corals have shown any stress except for like the first week of the clowns hosting. Duncan, torch, hammer, toadstool, GSP, colt coral, etc and not a single one has declined in health at all. They get used to the clowns being there and adapt to them. Proof that a sensitive coral like hammer can host a clown with no issues, she’s been in there for 8 months now 24/7
EF652417-BFA2-43FF-AF75-4FB497E103E9.jpeg
A lot of this depends on the clowns and how aggressive they are.I’ve had clowns beat anemones to death

OP
OP
Lucia

Lucia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes probably right, I would give it a while. A Duncan will live through anything and I’ve had one since the beginning as one of my first corals. The clowns love it and if you give it some flow the tentacles become nice and long. They come in purple, green, and purple tentacles with a green center (what I have).
3AF88B15-7998-45C8-9069-B10142D09B9B.jpeg
Oh wow.
Yeah I’ll just wait a bit

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0, nitrate at an acceptable level(somewhere under 10 but over 1)? ALK, CAL, MAG at reef tank levels?

Add the coral.

If the tank has cycled, no reason not to try your hand at corals. No need to let the tank sit for a few months while you stare at an empty tank. Nothing will happen in 2 month that hasn't already happened if the tank is properly cycled.

We typically tell people to wait with corals, to "season" the tank, but it's more about "seasoning" the reefer, and not the tank.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0, nitrate at an acceptable level(somewhere under 10 but over 1)? ALK, CAL, MAG at reef tank levels?

Add the coral.

If the tank has cycled, no reason not to try your hand at corals. No need to let the tank sit for a few months while you stare at an empty tank. Nothing will happen in 2 month that hasn't already happened if the tank is properly cycled.

We typically tell people to wait with corals, to "season" the tank, but it's more about "seasoning" the reefer, and not the tank.
I am glad I took my time and am geting my seasoning. I waited 4 months then saw hydroids; figured I would wait them out. Once they went away dino came up. I am on the tail end of getting rid of that. I am glad I dealt with that before I put coral in. That said, the only real thing that happened in the interim is watching coralline grow on the marco rocks and sponges grow in the crevices of them.

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited a year before getting corals. I think mostly because I was scared I would kill them. I also wanted to get through the ugly algea stage. My clown lives in my green hairy mushrooms. They are pretty easy to keep but do multiply quickly and grow pretty big.

Attachments

• 20191104_215305.jpg
    20191104_215305.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 29

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of clowns tear up xenia they were hosting. Literally tore it down to a nub. They also did this to a rainbow bta I added.

Then one day I decided to try again and added another rainbow BTA. They left that one alone and never tore it up.

I think it depends on the clown and their mood... much like humans lol.

As for ther torch, I would get a cheap frogspawn or hammer and give it a test run. If all goes well for a month, get that torch!

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two naked clowns who decided to host one of my small hammers.
I woke up one day and the clowns had these black dots all over their bodies.
It was the hammer stinging them.
And, as you stated above, the hammer declined in health and eventually died.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back