Torch disappeared overnight

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday afternoon I had 2 decent sized torch corals sitting side by side. Both bought at the same time, at the same place, and placed together in the same spot about 6 months ago. This morning when I looked in the tank one is just the skeletal structure. Not a polyp in sight. The other looks perfectly normal.

The only thing that has changed recently with regard to this tank is that I added a couple of very small emerald crabs. Is it possible one of them ate it? Or do torch corals just up and die in under 12 hours?

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Doug B

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both torches looked like the one in the picture yesterday. The empty space to the left is where the other one was. I moved it to a different tank since I do not know what happened. The pic of the skeleton is what greeted me at lights on this morning. So two of the same thing, in the same place, in the same tank, for the same time and under the same conditions...both fine yesterday. One dead today (or so it appears). Ponderous.

20181224_144543.jpg

20181224_144751.jpg

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m betting your crabs had something to do with it. I had a similar situation with a small Zoa colony. Gone overnight. Haven’t lost anything since though so my Emerald didn’t get the death penalty.

OP
OP
Doug B

Doug B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m betting your crabs had something to do with it. I had a similar situation with a small Zoa colony. Gone overnight. Haven’t lost anything since though so my Emerald didn’t get the death penalty.
I hope that's not the case. I enjoy watching them, and they help with bubble algae. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on the tank once the lights go out.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the base of the skeleton look like on the alive torch corals??? Before death were they growing??? It looks like the flesh was not wrapping around the coral in the picture because it's not white near the top only white where the flesh was. I'd say it was receding from an infection maybe?? I've seen them just die all of a sudden due to infection. Seemingly fine one minute gone the next

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the exact same thing happen to me with a torch that literally died within 12 hours. No crabs in my tank. It was about 4-5 inches away from a hammer coral that is still thriving. My best guess is either an infection or coral warfare or something else undetected, but no way to definitively prove the cause. They have been in my tank for about a year before this happened.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an emerald get pretty big on me. Suspected it was him devouring Zoa colonies. Wasn’t sure until three days ago when I found him going to town on a large frag that I decided it was time for him to go. I have one more that is smaller but when the time comes he will go and crabs will be forever gone from my tanks.

slee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can see in this picture how the flesh is growing around the head and has not receeded up the base of the sceloton. This is a good sign of a healthy growing coral

8c3240feafef1f097ffe305462a37f06.jpg

The white part under the head of the torch is a good sign? I just noticed this about my torch and wasn’t sure if this was a good thing. At nights it never closes and stays opens all day...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back