Torch growing translucent tubes

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
20210309__DSC0091.jpg

My torch has been developing fuzzy growths on its skeleton. I have been dipping and scrubbing them off as they seem to be eroding the skeleton. Today I noticed that there are translucent tubes growing from the same fuzzy spots on the torch.

Disregard the retracted tentacles; I took this about two hours before lights out and my torch has a habit of retracting for a bit every day. It also just caught a piece of mysis.

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hard to see, could be pineapple sponges.
I just googled this. It looks extremely similar. I’m pretty sure that it’s eroding the skeleton though; is that normal? My torch skeleton has a flat spot where I previously scrubbed a large patch off.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just googled this. It looks extremely similar. I’m pretty sure that it’s eroding the skeleton though; is that normal? My torch skeleton has a flat spot where I previously scrubbed a large patch off.
No, they are just sponges. Will reduce in numbers over time. They wouldn’t cause what you describe.

OP
OP
C

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
+1 pineapple sponge :). Would be cool for a close up but it looks like that to me.
Here is what it looked like when I first discovered it a few weeks ago. There was a large quarter-sized fuzzy growth on the side of the skeleton. It scrubbed off pretty easily but seems to be slowly growing back now.

KomsCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looking like a sponge or maybeeee a tunicate. Brushed off with a toothbrush would do the trick

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back