Torch isn’t doing well

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp.
Tank specs:

- 40B that is running as an AIO. Build thread shows all the details.
- Parameters are 0.1 po4, no3 is 3.4, Alk is 8.4, PH is 7.88, mag is 1420 and calcium is 470.

So a few weeks back I got a torch, it was going really well and then (to help with algae control) I grabbed an urchin. At the time the torch was in the sand, and the urchin took it for a ride lol.

I since moved the torch to another location and over the last week it looks like below. Same par levels (150-200ish) and flow. Not sure what’s going on.
7934FB80-7126-453F-B4EC-C6E9836CDA61.jpeg
7934FB80-7126-453F-B4EC-C6E9836CDA61.jpeg

my other LPS (three headed hammer, five headed acan) are doing just fine.

help? Ideas?

here is what it looked like before it’s ride.
5978B7F5-229F-4908-8930-8853AB758178.jpeg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe move it around less. pick a spot and let it do it's thing.... but if you have urchins. setting it loose on the sand bed probably isn't a great idea. You had posted a video of it a few weeks ago and it was mounted to a rock and seemed happy. Why did it get moved back down to the sand bed again? I'd put it back on that rock and let it adapt.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to agree with the above, the best thing you can do is keep things stable, moving its position, changing flow and or lighting is going to push out the acclimation period and make it harder to adapt to the new conditions. I would place it in the most ideal location you can think of, and then leave it alone for quite some time.

Most corals will adapt to their location within reason. I have some Duncan's that get blasted in front of a gyre and over the months they have grown used to it and adjusted accordingly. The polyps are much longer now in the flow.

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe move it around less. pick a spot and let it do it's thing.... but if you have urchins. setting it loose on the sand bed probably isn't a great idea. You had posted a video of it a few weeks ago and it was mounted to a rock and seemed happy. Why did it get moved back down to the sand bed again? I'd put it back on that rock and let it adapt.
Fun story, that rock is at the sandbed and apparently my mounting method sucked (glue > putty > glue > coral) as it broke free :/

I have it about an inch lower, but same spot.

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look bad at all but your nitrates are low. LPS like nitrate at 10. PH is little low also.
I just increased my dose of Red Sea AB+ to 15ml/day on top of my 5ml I do for the fish (I spot feed my zoa to help increase color/growth). Hoping my nitrates go up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just increased my dose of Red Sea AB+ to 15ml/day on top of my 5ml I do for the fish (I spot feed my zoa to help increase color/growth). Hoping my nitrates go up.
Not sure I would be dumping that much AB plus in a 40g tank daily. That can fuel algae also. I use AB plus once maybe twice a week in my 80g. Also it may raise your phosphate to. Just feed more frozen food. I feed 10 fish heavy twice a day and my nitrates are always around 10 to 12.

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I would be dumping that much AB plus in a 40g tank daily. That can fuel algae also. I use AB plus once maybe twice a week in my 80g. Also it may raise your phosphate to. Just feed more frozen food. I feed 10 fish heavy twice a day and my nitrates are always around 10 to 12.
That’s a good idea. Previous dose was 12ml/day, and the corals seem to dig it.

I should do what you said and just feed more frozen. I have plenty in the tank that will gobble it up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. Previous dose was 12ml/day, and the corals seem to dig it.

I should do what you said and just feed more frozen. I have plenty in the tank that will gobble it up.
When my tank was nwer and not stable I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple weeks to get measurable numbers. Feeding is the easier solution to try first but if you are not seeing the result its easy to dose for nitrate also.

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was nwer and not stable I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple weeks to get measurable numbers. Feeding is the easier solution to try first but if you are not seeing the result its easy to dose for nitrate also.
I think you are 100% correct about the nitrates and such. I normally ran between 10-15 ppm and I have noticed I can barely get above 5 ppm in this larger tank. I do have neophos/nitro here, I may just switch to dosing that.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are 100% correct about the nitrates and such. I normally ran between 10-15 ppm and I have noticed I can barely get above 5 ppm in this larger tank. I do have neophos/nitro here, I may just switch to dosing that.
Maybe open a window for fresh air in the fish room will help PH to. I run an air purifying fan all day in mine.

OP
OP
E

evrydayzawrkday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the torch doing now did it recover?
Unfortunately not, that and a number of SPS went south. I have a feeling it was the age of my tank, so I am going to continue doing what I did previously (before I moved from my 25g to 40g) which is just support it, and in a few months add my SPS + torches back.

Luckily I grabbed the torch dirt cheap, as someone locally actually breds them. Regardless, any loss of coral hurts.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back