Torch issues!

brooksbest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently got a new torch and today i woke up and it looked crazy. One if the tentacles very specifically looked brown and discolored. I dont know if one of the fish did it. I know my damsel likes to nip at things sometimes as she swims around the tank ive even seen her donit to a coral or two never the torch though. I haven't seen brown slime or anything like that coming out of it so i dont know if im dealing wit that brown slime disease but as you will see in the attached picture it doesn't look happy. The torch i had previously seems to still be doin alright so far but idk if its me being nervous or what but the other torch looks funny in some ways to me the tentacles seem fat but small at some tips idk the more i stare at it, it seems fine but i also feel like the more i stare at the one with the issue the more im looking for things wrong with the other one. I even feel like the other ones tentacles look like they have a tint of purple in some areas. In the provided picture theres one small tenactle next to the other torch thats nit doing great thats looks small and darker compared to the rest. Im hoping my older one is also not being effected. I even have a hammer in this tank that seems to be doing alright so far too. Ill keep an eye in the other torch and the other corals over the next few days but i was just hoping you guys could give me some opinions based on what you see here. My parameters are all where they should be as far as i know. This torch seems to be the only issue at the moment. I did move them around the tank 2 days ago for what i thought was a better spot for them could that have caused this? I also lowed the temps by literally 2-3 degrees because the water temps were reading sat 85-86 and i thought that mighta been a bit too much. Any ideas?

659125DA-6588-43D1-8052-2E821AFB1427.jpeg 3DEA0D5E-55D3-4FE4-90DC-3C716EAC880F.jpeg

OP
OP
B

brooksbest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: the other coral is browning around the outter tentacles and they are shrinkin it looks like what ever it is, is now taking out the other tourch wat should i do??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are photosynthetic and get their colors from the production of zooxanthellae which comes from light
Medium light and water flow is best
Stems should be swaying- not doing a Hulu dance

OP
OP
B

brooksbest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are photosynthetic and get their colors from the production of zooxanthellae which comes from light
Medium light and water flow is best
Stems should be swaying- not doing a Hulu dance
The flow was great. I even have a RFG installed to make sure my flow isnt one directional. From what ive seen and researched it not good to have a 1 directional flow. And the older torch had been doing great for months until now.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just a shrunken tentacle, nothing to sweat about.

The other torch in that picture on the other hand is slowly dying, and has been for a while. You can see the tissue is receding from the base. Thats the first sign of declining health in most LPS.

OP
OP
B

brooksbest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's just a shrunken tentacle, nothing to sweat about.

The other torch in that picture on the other hand is slowly dying, and has been for a while. You can see the tissue is receding from the base. Thats the first sign of declining health in most LPS.
You know you may be right. Hours later inwas expecting ti wake up to a dead torch but shes actually looking better now then earlier all the smaller brown tentacles look normal again. The other torch is new and i always felt it looked a little weak could it have come from the shop already sick? Do you think its something in my water if the other torch is doing okay?? Should i be worried about the older torch thats doin good??

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The flow was great. I even have a RFG installed to make sure my flow isnt one directional. From what ive seen and researched it not good to have a 1 directional flow. And the older torch had been doing great for months until now.
Not dying- just something to keep an eye on. Torches can get moody and shrink to be full the next day

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back