Torch killed by brown slime

Alexd330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have/had a 3 head torch some call holly grail. I noticed a church of I thought was reef roids but softly blew it off and to my chock the head was dead and parts of the other 2. It was perfect the day befor although. Hi have noticed it’s tentacles looking bloated a few times. I gave it a coral bath with CoraRX did no good. It coated with the brown slime on the head and is dead. What I’m the world affected or infected my torch. I keep several euphillia and don’t need a repeat. Please scientific. Causes and cures or was to avoid this please. Thank you so much. Everything else in my 180 looks great.

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
If you take the coral out and it smells awful is a sign of brown jelly.

You should look into the KFC dip. It has saved my torches a few times. You can run it in system and in a separate tank.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD will migrate to other euphyllia if not taken care of.
While likely, this is not ime, a given.
Ive had bjd a few times, always due to some torch stressor.
Mechanical damage or increased light, or other coral 'sting'.
Other hammers or torches not harmed.
It does seem like once on a coral, it propagates unless treated.
But unless a coral is stressed, ime, the opportunistic bjd cause does not take hold.
Some prophylactically dip other euphyllia in the tank, this may or may not help as this (ime), stresses.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a cause for bjd? Thank you so much
Nothing definitive that i know of.
My 2$,
1. the pathogen is lurking in our tanks.
2. We do something to stress the euphyllia, injury or envitonmental.
3. Stress lowers the corals ability to fend off the culprit.
4. Perhaps we do something that favors the pathogens abundance like too many nutrients or amino acids. These feed critters good and bad.

There is a cipro treatment some use, 0.5mg per gallon dosed after lights out day 1, 3, and 5.

Search bjd cause for many other opinions.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been conclusively proven to be caused by Arcobacter bacteria and responds very well to ciprofloxacin treatment:

OP
OP
Alexd330

Alexd330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing definitive that i know of.
My 2$,
1. the pathogen is lurking in our tanks.
2. We do something to stress the euphyllia, injury or envitonmental.
3. Stress lowers the corals ability to fend off the culprit.
4. Perhaps we do something that favors the pathogens abundance like too many nutrients or amino acids. These feed critters good and bad.

There is a cipro treatment some use, 0.5mg per gallon dosed after lights out day 1, 3, and 5.

Search bjd cause for many other opinions.
Thank you so much. It was 2 year (old holy grail ?) gold so it hurt. Thank you

OP
OP
Alexd330

Alexd330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. It was 2 year (old holy grail ?) gold so it hurt. Thank you
So when do you dose Cipro? If you notice slime or weekly and should I do it now so nothing else gets sick? I’m not much up on my vet skills yet. But I want to learn. Thank you.

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost a few torches to BJD. In my case it ended up being due to stress and possibly bruising which i learned from a video on YouTube. i had them placed on a rock but never glued them and in turn a snail kept knocking them over.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when do you dose Cipro? If you notice slime or weekly and should I do it now so nothing else gets sick? I’m not much up on my vet skills yet. But I want to learn. Thank you.
I would Second the KFC dip. I never add antibiotics to my DT. Ive done it before with serious repercussions. I use the KFC dip all the time for LPS and I stopped STN on a wild acro colony once. I have a white bucket heater and small power head dedicated to the KCF dip. If your other LPS corals show sighns of BJD its not the end of the world. I would dip them in a peroxide dip, KFC gives recommends and provides instructions for this as well, then do the KCF dip treatment. I recently did this with a Meat coral that had an oral disk infection, i left it overnight and took it out in the morning. Coral looked great within a couple weeks

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed cipro multiple times with no issues and much happier corals afterwards. The dose Eli from Aquabiomics used is 0.125 mg/gallon for 3 days. I usually use a dose of 1.25 mg/gallon for 7-10 days with dosing at night. I have had no issues with coral deaths with this treatment. Cipro seems to be pretty benign in reef aquaria as opposed to other antibiotics like amoxicillin and doxycycline.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed cipro multiple times with no issues and much happier corals afterwards. The dose Eli from Aquabiomics used is 0.125 mg/gallon for 3 days. I usually use a dose of 1.25 mg/gallon for 7-10 days with dosing at night. I have had no issues with coral deaths with this treatment. Cipro seems to be pretty benign in reef aquaria as opposed to other antibiotics like amoxicillin and doxycycline.
I recently found that doxy is extreamly ineffective in a reef tank as all tetracycline's bond with calcium rapidly and don't work. For that reason when taking doxy they often tell you not to drink milk for an hour after taking the medication. I would agree adding Cipro to a tank is relatively safe but also think that it can have long term negative effects that can be avoided with a QT dip in a bucket where antibiotics can be more concentrated and more effective.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.125mg/ liter, 0.5mg/gallon if this is what is referred to
Thread 'Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...ic-treatments-for-brown-jelly-disease.782438/

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it if im sure i have bjd. Buy 250 mg cipro tablets, crush 1 with mortar and pestle or between 2 spoons. Add 250ml of rodi (1mg/ml), save in plastic bottle out of light.
After lights out, shake well, dose system volume ÷ 2 ml of your cipro mix on day 1,3, and 5.
So if 125 gallons system volume, dose 62.5 ml of cipro at 1mg/ml.

Discard cipro mix after a couple of weeks.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found that doxy is extreamly ineffective in a reef tank as all tetracycline's bond with calcium rapidly and don't work. For that reason when taking doxy they often tell you not to drink milk for an hour after taking the medication. I would agree adding Cipro to a tank is relatively safe but also think that it can have long term negative effects that can be avoided with a QT dip in a bucket where antibiotics can be more concentrated and more effective.
While true, with a tank-wide infection, treating individual corals is most likely going to be ineffective.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the FDA:

"Doxycycline has a high degree of lipoid solubility and a low affinity for calcium binding. It is highly stable in normal human serum."

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back