Torch Looking a Bit Odd

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the torch in a lower light and flow spot before and was looking slightly transparent but after putting it where it is in the picture it seemed like the green got a lot deeper and the coral looked healthier. But now when I went to feed the other day (I turn pumps off to feed because it makes it easier to feed metroplex to one of my fish) I noticed it looked a bit strange I reduced the flow coming out the powerhead on that side and most of the bands on the tentacles went away by the next day. Was it just too much flow possibly?

20180126_201031.jpg

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice the "banding" on the tentacles? I'm not sure how to describe it. I'm assuming it's caused by stress. Have you seen that before?

torch.png

This is a shot of the tank about a month ago. Shows the previous location of the torch. The flow the torch is currently getting is direct flow. I'll get a video of it later but it looks like it's just gently blowing around looks like flow was fine but then I noticed the "banding" and it mostly went away when I turned the pump all the way down. So made me think it has something to do with flow. I've been having trouble finding places to put the euphyllia that is low enough flow.

tt.png

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think think the banding would be an issue and the placement looks good as well. Let's get some torch experts on this as I've never noticed banding on torches we've kept. #reefsquad

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not a torch expert, but a former very large colony owner that used to see that on occasion. I honestly never gave it much thought and never noticed any longer term "issues" due to it. Maybe not much help but figured I would comment.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, maybe my reducing flow was just a coincidence. I hope so because I like it there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back