Torch question

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to rehab a torch I got from someone it's slow going but is showing signs of life my question is these green things on top do I need to remove them or is that part of the skeleton?

20240505_133839.jpg 20240505_133828.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could try using diluted peroxide and a qtip. Out of the water. Apply with qtip. Rinse and repeat.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s going to be a fine balance you’ll have to walk. The algae will need to be removed because you ideally want to have tissue cover the bare skeleton however any manipulation right now may lead to more damage. A Restore dip would be something I would recommend and keeping it under 75-100 PAR of all blue light if possible would also help. This would allow for the algae to be reduced while giving the torch what it needs.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to be a fine balance you’ll have to walk. The algae will need to be removed because you ideally want to have tissue cover the bare skeleton however any manipulation right now may lead to more damage. A Restore dip would be something I would recommend and keeping it under 75-100 PAR of all blue light if possible would also help. This would allow for the algae to be reduced while giving the torch what it needs.
At night it does try to to extend a little more but since I have gotten it a few months back it's been like this it's like it wants to come out but won't Will the all blue harm any of my other coral Nem,Duncan, frogspawn etc?

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I Don't really have any algae in the tank just some Diatom from new sand

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
At night it does try to to extend a little more but since I have gotten it a few months back it's been like this it's like it wants to come out but won't Will the all blue harm any of my other coral Nem,Duncan, frogspawn etc?
It shouldn’t; only nems really need white light. But I didn’t realize that it was in a full tank. Can you try placing it somewhere where it’s partially shaded? Sounds like it might help since it extends more at night for you. That should not be the case unless the lights are too bright for it.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t; only nems really need white light. But I didn’t realize that it was in a full tank. Can you try placing it somewhere where it’s partially shaded? Sounds like it might help since it extends more at night for you. That should not be the case unless the lights are too bright for it.
Where it is now is almost at the bottom of the tank 40 Breeder the colors are good on the inside it's just like something is holding it back from proofing out at night it's not much more extended then it is in the picture just more full of that makes sense

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where it is now is almost at the bottom of the tank 40 Breeder the colors are good on the inside it's just like something is holding it back from proofing out at night it's not much more extended then it is in the picture just more full of that makes sense
I see.

I would try the Restore bath. It does wonders for LPS to help tissue heal.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where do you get that from?

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restor is a very good product, i would just wait to do anything right now i would wait a little while to see if it opens at all to better assess
All of these including the torch were picked up on March 23 all got dipped in Revive before being added this torch has been like this from day 1 of adding it

90guzmanj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If brightwells restor doesn’t help you can try reef primer from polyp lab, this helped me beat stn on a torch of mine. Also make sure your mag levels are between 1400-1500 ppm

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back