Torch Show Off Thread!

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6ddbbc63032008915de51197079ba5ad.jpg
65b4a7105b6fb37237b9c70e90e5f92a.jpg

I have had my Aussie gold for 3 years now just fragged off two heads they grow so slow

they're stunning. I love how the tips seem to change shades. Sometimes the tips on mine are more purple, other times more of a light blue

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're stunning. I love how the tips seem to change shades. Sometimes the tips on mine are more purple, other times more of a light blue
There is a couple different types of aussie "gold" torches. I have had 2 of them. The teal tip looks more like what your describing, the ultra which is the known melter is gold tentacle with blue tips and stubby. I have seen ultras without all gold tentacles but rather have gold striations which I had one for 4 months and poof in 3 days it was gone. I have spoken to at least 7 different people who sell corals for a living and they all knew about issues with aussie golds melting and most of them stayed away from buying any. There's also a longer tentacle Aussie gold that is real nice looking I have seen them with a purplish tip, could be lights affecting tip color, to blue tip. I know lights play a big role in how a camera picks up the colors in a torches tips. The first picture is the Aussie gold melter second is a 5 very large headed colony of golds. They were in the tank together. No other coral died when the gold melted and I have no known or provable reason as to why it did melt.
20190320_134827.jpeg
20190329_170216.jpeg

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting. Now I’m curious if there are different variations. I do remember that I got my gold from unique corals and it was advertised as an ultra Aussie gold.

I bought it for $150 which at the time seemed like a ton of money... but given I’ve had people offer me over $500, I think it was a solid purchase lol. Would love to be able to share this guy with hobbiests in the near future, especially since it’s been so hardy.

Here you can see the difference that lighting makes. First 1 under more whites, 2nd is under blues

There is a couple different types of aussie "gold" torches. I have had 2 of them. The teal tip looks more like what your describing, the ultra which is the known melter is gold tentacle with blue tips and stubby. I have seen ultras without all gold tentacles but rather have gold striations which I had one for 4 months and poof in 3 days it was gone. I have spoken to at least 7 different people who sell corals for a living and they all knew about issues with aussie golds melting and most of them stayed away from buying any. There's also a longer tentacle Aussie gold that is real nice looking I have seen them with a purplish tip, could be lights affecting tip color, to blue tip. I know lights play a big role in how a camera picks up the colors in a torches tips. The first picture is the Aussie gold melter second is a 5 very large headed colony of golds. They were in the tank together. No other coral died when the gold melted and I have no known or provable reason as to why it did melt.
20190320_134827.jpeg
20190329_170216.jpeg
[/QUOTE

7A136195-341D-4AD2-AF82-8AECA5CB6351.jpeg

DE24AF71-BD51-4203-A516-AFD9BA31FCCC.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190320_134827.jpeg
20190329_170216.jpeg

Interesting. What type would you say I have? I’ve had it for a year. Very good polyp growth, super slow skeleton growth. Under all blue light it’s extremely bright gold and tips are a very dark but bright blue. Photos are best I can get. Clowns for size, full grown percs.

530d7c3ff01f6b5219d5652eaa3d0e15.jpg

e33881fb605ab7c53dba9599a6adea83.jpg

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good generalization of torches. I usually would say shorter thicker stubbier tentacles will belong to Aussie. Longer, stringy,thinner Indo. But that's a generalization and you can be fooled as I have been over the years. There are subtle variants of each torch out there. Think about corals in general technically they have no life span but can live indefinitely. Based on that and reefkeepers keeping them in entirely different ways is. Lights, parameters, flow there are lots of "morphs" for lack of a better term. I have seen the opposite from each country. In the pictures I posted the first is Indo dark tentacle blue tips. Second is Aussie dark tentacle blue tipped. Third together. Last is Indo 2 headed getting used to my tanks conditions and strong lights, and is just younger than some others. I posted it to show it's all about knowledge more than stereotyping the torches. I Try to look for traits that each country shows but they are not definitive set in stone rules.
20190330_194039.jpeg
20190330_194038.jpeg
20190330_194035.jpeg
20190402_043941.jpeg

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my only other torch. It has pink tips with a green base.. has a "veiny" pattern all over its tentacles too. Pretty sure its an indo

IMG_5745.jpg
Actually Brian that green mouth/base or toxic mouth, purple tentacled pink tipped is an aussie snake skin. That's what I've seen the lateral striations called when they are on the tentacles. Austin aqua farms uses the "snake skin" terminology. I think it works for, while I am not a big fan of names, we have to have a way of describing the torch for buying and selling purposes. I have 3 very similar pink tipped toxic mouth/green mouth aussies. Aquasd has them on their site as well. They are actually quite stunning in person the contrasting base bright green with purple and pink.

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Brian that green mouth/base or toxic mouth, purple tentacled pink tipped is an aussie snake skin. That's what I've seen the lateral striations called when they are on the tentacles. Austin aqua farms uses the "snake skin" terminology. I think it works for, while I am not a big fan of names, we have to have a way of describing the torch for buying and selling purposes. I have 3 very similar pink tipped toxic mouth/green mouth aussies. Aquasd has them on their site as well. They are actually quite stunning in person the contrasting base bright green with purple and pink.

Great to know! Thanks very much. I agree, it's a stunning torch

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back