Torches, BJD and Alk

enlighten

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2023
Messages
587
Reaction score
362
Location
Clovis
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard an interesting anecdote on torches and bjd the other day watching YT reefin vids. The reefer in the video stated that he keeps alk above 10 for his torches because jt essentially prevents BJD. I havent done my own research on this but I stopped keeping torches altogether as I kept losing them... to BJD. Is there any merit in this claim or shared experience? Ive been eyeballing a banana torch and am tempted! Ive been trying to target a 10dkh for my tank but havent been able to acheive consistently. However, once I do, I may get a banana torch for sure.
 
I don’t know the “secret “ for keeping touch coral, but I know that Danny at Kung Fu Corals in San Diego imports and keeps healthy many 1000’s of them, along side other “delicate” LPS like a champ.

My recollection is that he keeps alkalinity closer to nsw levels and not elevated anywhere near 10 dkh?

But for certain, stability at which ever level you choose is going to help with coral health and survival.
 
BJD is said to affect weakened corals. I would therefore see it as more of a symptom than the cause of coral deaths.

It's not unlikely that the affected coral will die even without brown jelly being formed by Helicostoma notatum and other organisms that may play some role in BJD.

I'm very skeptical...
 
I've stopped buying torches as well. They seem to always end in BJD, unlike everything else in my tank. Alk is 8.5.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new