Trace element!

Christian Gomez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys I’m thinking of running abc trace elements from Red Sea question is, is this similar to the amino acids? What are the difference? Does anyone else here use Red Sea trace Elements ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Different and replenishes the many elements used up by corals. Aminos are necessary fatty acids required for coral tissue and health

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different and replenishes the many elements used up by corals. Aminos are necessary fatty acids required for coral tissue and health

just to clarify, amino acids and fatty acids are different. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Fatty acids are, among other things, one of the components of fats.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys I’m thinking of running abc trace elements from Red Sea question is, is this similar to the amino acids? What are the difference? Does anyone else here use Red Sea trace Elements ?

trace elements are mostly metals like iron and manganese. Some may be useful in some reef tanks. Amino acids are mostly useful in low nutrient reef tanks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 on safe for both

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
just to clarify, amino acids and fatty acids are different. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Fatty acids are, among other things, one of the components of fats.
Normally I would beg to differ both both A & B. . . . . .
A- You actually have a good point
B- DONT argue with the water expert...… finally glad to hear from you !

Merry Xmas

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to use abc and amino acid? Or it’s one or the other

The use of each has no bearing on the other. But don't be sucked into the idea that more additives are always better. Try them with an eye toward seeing if there is an apparent benefit.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What product do you use ?
I an dosing Quantum's Aragonite Line along with their Alk, Calcium, and magnesium as needed. I have been looking into Brightwell products as well. I have been researching different methods of just dosing instead of doing water changes as well.

OP
OP
Christian Gomez

Christian Gomez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I an dosing Quantum's Aragonite Line along with their Alk, Calcium, and magnesium as needed. I have been looking into Brightwell products as well. I have been researching different methods of just dosing instead of doing water changes as well.
Wouldn’t adding all these supplements help with the no water changes ? I haven’t done a water change in about 2 months

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t adding all these supplements help with the no water changes ? I haven’t done a water change in about 2 months

amino acids dosing has no bearing on water changes. If you do go with no water changes, there is more need for some elements, but for many, such as iron and manganese, water changes may not do much since they can deplete rapidly. Foods likely add more of some of these than do water changes.

Also, with no water changes you have to be more careful to not add more than is being used or they can accumulate, possibly to undesirable levels. Metals like zinc might fall in this category.

OP
OP
Christian Gomez

Christian Gomez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amino acids dosing has no bearing on water changes. If you do go with no water changes, there is more need for some elements, but for many, such as iron and manganese, water changes may not do much since they can deplete rapidly. Foods likely add more of some of these than do water changes.

Also, with no water changes you have to be more careful to not add more than is being used or they can accumulate, possibly to undesirable levels. Metals like zinc might fall in this category.
Great that you ! I’m thinking of dosing manually before actually getting a doser for them I also need to get test kits before doing it making sure I don’t overdose on these elements

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great that you ! I’m thinking of dosing manually before actually getting a doser for them I also need to get test kits before doing it making sure I don’t overdose on these elements

unfortunately, mist can’t be detected by kit. Too low of natural concentration. Icp by sending out the water for testing works for many.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little CPR to the thread... lol
Question: I have a 4 channel doser currently dosing Alk, Calcium, and Acropower. From what I understand of acropower It is only amino acids. I am concerned about other trace elements being depleted and would like to dose them. From my research I see there are a few that interest me but not an one bottle solutions? With only one remaining channel does anyone have any suggestions?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back