Trace elements

Ozonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow Reefers
I got my results from icp-analysis.com
Is this something to be considered about.
My tank is almost 13 months and I only have Sps frags any advice would help clarify this issue. My frags are doing good but growth is very slow.

Screenshot_20210928-170749_ICP Analysis Water Test.jpg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never was good at chemistry. However Randy is. @Randy Holmes-Farley what are the possible effects of low iron, zinc, manganese, and cobalt on a reef system? Will the absence cause problems for the op? I imagine a trace elements solution could boost those for you but no idea how fast the numbers could be safely raised #reefsquad

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like alot of chlorine to me, but I never was good at chemistry.
So, that's a good illustration of the limits of ICP testing. It only shows you how much total of each element. In this case the Cl is mostly (all?) chloride, which is part of 'salt.'

what are the possible effects of low iron, zinc, manganese, and cobalt on a reef system? Will the absence cause problems for the op? I imagine a trace elements solution could boost those for you but no idea how fast the numbers could be safely raised #reefsquad
I wouldn't worry about them, but people will have different opinions on testing for things that are present in parts per billion that may or may not be needed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP is not perfect. Aside from issues with inaccuracy in some instances, it cannot detect iron at natural seawater surface levels.

That said, I think iron dosing is often useful and the tank may benefit from some other trace elements as well. Dosing some may be a useful and interesting experiment for you.

Here's are some results I got for my tank a while back, and the comments I made about each result:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Reef Moonshiners and put your numbers in the assessment tool. You'll know everything you need to do

IMO, its more complicated that that, unless you test nearly every day for a while.

Some elements may deplete in only a day or two, so you'd need to test very often to know how often to dose.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO, its more complicated that that, unless you test nearly every day for a while.

Some elements may deplete in only a day or two, so you'd need to test very often to know how often to dose.
It is all in Andre's handbook on what to dose daily and how much to start with. Monthly ICP tests for a few months gets you a good baseline on everything else. I now send in an ICP every 6-8 weeks and make corrections if there are any needed.

I am sure people could nitpick Andre's method but thousands of tanks are running it with the best results I have seen in 16+ years in the hobby. I have never had a tank doing better so he is definitely doing something right

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's wild that ICP can come up with zero P. It seems to be a hard element for ICP to do much better than our test kits.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all in Andre's handbook on what to dose daily and how much to start with. Monthly ICP tests for a few months gets you a good baseline on everything else. I now send in an ICP every 6-8 weeks and make corrections if there are any needed.

I am sure people could nitpick Andre's method but thousands of tanks are running it with the best results I have seen in 16+ years in the hobby. I have never had a tank doing better so he is definitely doing something right

I do not doubt that frequent checking and adjusting are a good way to go. I pointed out that it is not a perfect answer for rapidly depleting ions unless the testing is very frequent, at least for a while to set some initial dosing guidelines.

That said, many people make comments similar to yours about the latest new method they are using. lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back