Trachyphyllia losing color

  • Thread starter Thread starter dmolavi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dmolavi

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2015
Messages
509
Reaction score
640
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why my trachy would be losing color? It is under a BuildMyLED 20000K reef fixture (http://web.archive.org/web/20140325143448/http://www.buildmyled.com/20000k-reef-spectrum-xb-series/) I spot feed it PE frozen calanus, and the "juice" from a melted PE mysis cube.

I'm going to check my water params tonight. The rest of the tank is healthy, so I'm going to focus on calcium and magnesium. Anything else I should look for?
20181204_181509.jpeg
 
Agreed with above, they are a sand-dwelling species that does well in lower light. I would put it in a semi-shaded area for like 3 days, then leave it on the sand bed with low/med light. I have mine in lower light. It was getting half bleached when I had my light settings too high, it has since returned, it looks like this now.

763ABBEE-791F-459B-8E10-DE1527C1E51D.jpeg



When you feed does it still react and eat even though its bleached?
 
Thanks everyone for the super fast replies. I've moved it to a shadier spot. I might need to move some rock to create more shade as a more permanent solution
 
Agreed with above, they are a sand-dwelling species that does well in lower light. I would put it in a semi-shaded area for like 3 days, then leave it on the sand bed with low/med light. I have mine in lower light. It was getting half bleached when I had my light settings too high, it has since returned, it looks like this now.

763ABBEE-791F-459B-8E10-DE1527C1E51D.jpeg



When you feed does it still react and eat even though its bleached?
Yes it does, thankfully
 
Thanks everyone for the super fast replies. I've moved it to a shadier spot. I might need to move some rock to create more shade as a more permanent solution

Bleaching is never the end for these guys either (as long as water condition stay stable), just keep it fed (dont over feed) and it should come back in a couple weeks.
 
Bleaching is never the end for these guys either (as long as water condition stay stable), just keep it fed (dont over feed) and it should come back in a couple weeks.
That's good to hear. Thanks. Should it be fed daily or is a couple times a week sufficient?
 
That's good to hear. Thanks. Should it be fed daily or is a couple times a week sufficient?

Id give it some mysis every other day or so, just a few pieces should be fine. You just want it to recover, it doesnt need a lot of food, just enough to give it a little boost.
 
Did tour trachy came back to being healthy?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new