Trachyphyllia losing color

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why my trachy would be losing color? It is under a BuildMyLED 20000K reef fixture (http://web.archive.org/web/20140325143448/http://www.buildmyled.com/20000k-reef-spectrum-xb-series/) I spot feed it PE frozen calanus, and the "juice" from a melted PE mysis cube.

I'm going to check my water params tonight. The rest of the tank is healthy, so I'm going to focus on calcium and magnesium. Anything else I should look for?
20181204_181509.jpeg

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, they are a sand-dwelling species that does well in lower light. I would put it in a semi-shaded area for like 3 days, then leave it on the sand bed with low/med light. I have mine in lower light. It was getting half bleached when I had my light settings too high, it has since returned, it looks like this now.

763ABBEE-791F-459B-8E10-DE1527C1E51D.jpeg

When you feed does it still react and eat even though its bleached?

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, they are a sand-dwelling species that does well in lower light. I would put it in a semi-shaded area for like 3 days, then leave it on the sand bed with low/med light. I have mine in lower light. It was getting half bleached when I had my light settings too high, it has since returned, it looks like this now.

763ABBEE-791F-459B-8E10-DE1527C1E51D.jpeg

When you feed does it still react and eat even though its bleached?
Yes it does, thankfully

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the super fast replies. I've moved it to a shadier spot. I might need to move some rock to create more shade as a more permanent solution

Bleaching is never the end for these guys either (as long as water condition stay stable), just keep it fed (dont over feed) and it should come back in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching is never the end for these guys either (as long as water condition stay stable), just keep it fed (dont over feed) and it should come back in a couple weeks.
That's good to hear. Thanks. Should it be fed daily or is a couple times a week sufficient?

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. Thanks. Should it be fed daily or is a couple times a week sufficient?

Id give it some mysis every other day or so, just a few pieces should be fine. You just want it to recover, it doesnt need a lot of food, just enough to give it a little boost.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did tour trachy came back to being healthy?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back