Transferring all my stuff to a new tank, NEED HELP!!!

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, i am upgrading from a 20 gallon AGA tank to a 30 gallon Finnex M tank sometime this week. i need some advice though on how to transfer everything over. i was thinking of taking like 10 gallons of water from my old tank and putting it in the new one, then putting another new 20 gallons of water in the 30. i also don't know if i should transfer my sand or if i should just buy a whole bag of sand. any suggestions?

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i take like 5 gallons of water out of my 20 gallon right now and keep it in a bucket for a week then put it in my new tank. and repeat that every week for a month so i have no cycle.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to get at least a small cycle. If there is any new silicone in the new tank then you will have a small cycle. I'm getting ready to transfer my 12 gallon into a 30 gallon soon, so i'll be going throught he same thing.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to get at least a small cycle. If there is any new silicone in the new tank then you will have a small cycle. I'm getting ready to transfer my 12 gallon into a 30 gallon soon, so i'll be going throught he same thing.

I'm pretty sure the Finnex tanks are acrylic. How would silicone cause a cycle? I would think stirring up the sand bed would be the main cause of a cycle, but he should have much of a cycle though. i done this many times before when I used to keep sand beds. Only problem I see occurring its a little bit of algae since it's a "new tank".

BTW, I would move the sand bed and use all of the water from the old tank.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex has glass tanks too from what i've seen. Diatom will occur from new sources of silica. I consider the startup algae nuisance as part of a new tank cycle.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you need more water plus old water. do a couple water changes and save that water. then use all of the saved water, all of the tank water, all of the old sand. you shouldnt have a problem.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya thats true, but then i need a whole new sand bed. although moving the sand is a huge hassle. if i got new sand and save some water from my recent water changes i'm guessing my cycle wouldn't be too bad. then i can sell of the old sandbed to someone in the area.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved a few times through the years and have always used the old sand and some of the water... I've always experienced a small cycle but the worst I've had was just a small algae boom that was taken care of by the hermits, snails, and the rest of the clean up crew... :)

good luck with the move..

Back