transferring sand

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m upgrading from a 20 cube to a 40b. the 2 cube is somewhat established and running for about 7 months i’m already seeing coralline algae on my powerheads and rock.

should i get new sand and just not use my live sand? i was hoping i could just transfer my sand and top it off with a 20lb bag so i could keep all my pods and worms… i’ve read that it needs to be rinsed but is it necessary if i constantly vacuum every weekly water change?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful carting over that sand. Do you vacuum all of it? I can only vacuum a small portion of my sand because rocks are sitting on the rest. I'm imagining its pretty darn dirty (mine I mean LOL). I'm planning a new build and won't be transferring mine.

OP
OP
C

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4 i bought a 40lb bag of special grade sand. gotta finish the drain plumbing and it should be ready

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 14

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
10-4 i bought a 40lb bag of special grade sand. gotta finish the drain plumbing and it should be ready
Hi. What did you end up doing? I'm debating the same thing. I'm going from a 32 to a 75 and wondering if I should transfer the sand. I'm hoping to be able to cycle the tank pretty quickly by moving over all the rock. Just wondering if the sand would speed up the cycle as well. My tank has only been up since July. Coraline algae has been growing for the past few weeks. Just finished the cyano phase.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%

Back