Transferring tank advice

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the process of moving my tank from a Biocube 16 to RSR 250. I thought I'd post this thread for obviously personal advice, but also anyone else that may be going through this process. If you could give one piece of advice for someone transferring a fairly established tank to a new one, what would it be?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the process of moving my tank from a Biocube 16 to RSR 250. I thought I'd post this thread for obviously personal advice, but also anyone else that may be going through this process. If you could give one piece of advice for someone transferring a fairly established tank to a new one, what would it be?
Towels .... lots of towels....
Congrats on the upgrade! That will be a great tank. Given that you are jumping up by over 50 gallons, I'd get the new tank set up and then transfer the inhabitants over. The rock you have in the 16 can seed the new tank but it won't carry that bioload. You'll want to cycle (or supplement) and get that tank stable before you jump up.

OP
OP
Ocean_dreamer89

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Towels .... lots of towels....
Congrats on the upgrade! That will be a great tank. Given that you are jumping up by over 50 gallons, I'd get the new tank set up and then transfer the inhabitants over. The rock you have in the 16 can seed the new tank but it won't carry that bioload. You'll want to cycle (or supplement) and get that tank stable before you jump up.
Hahahaha!!! I love that advice and its so true!!! Thank you so much. I didn't give much background on my personal move, but the new tank has been up and running for almost two months and fish have been in for about 3 weeks. I went with a fishes cycle before adding my previous fish and quarantining an addition. So far everything has been going really good, which is weirding me out a bit because there hasn't been that ugly stage yet and the lights have been on for almost two weeks now. We shall see!! It's definitely showing to me that every tank is different because it was a very different experience with my other tank.

brian414899

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha!!! I love that advice and its so true!!! Thank you so much. I didn't give much background on my personal move, but the new tank has been up and running for almost two months and fish have been in for about 3 weeks. I went with a fishes cycle before adding my previous fish and quarantining an addition. So far everything has been going really good, which is weirding me out a bit because there hasn't been that ugly stage yet and the lights have been on for almost two weeks now. We shall see!! It's definitely showing to me that every tank is different because it was a very different experience with my other tank.
That’s dope! I hope it’s still going well. I’m in the process of transferring my bio cube 32 to a redsea max 250. I’m mostly through the cycling process. Just waiting on my nitrites to go to zero. When the initial cycle was complete did you just transfer the whole tank? Did you include the sand bed?

OP
OP
Ocean_dreamer89

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s dope! I hope it’s still going well. I’m in the process of transferring my bio cube 32 to a redsea max 250. I’m mostly through the cycling process. Just waiting on my nitrites to go to zero. When the initial cycle was complete did you just transfer the whole tank? Did you include the sand bed?
Thanks! So I wanted to transfer as little pests as I could so very little was moved to the new tank. I completed a fishless cycle on the new one with all new sand and rock. I added in the fish and waited a couple weeks before introducing a test coral. I just broke off a small piece of my GSP. When I saw that it was doing well I transferred over the rest of my corals over the next couple weeks. All of my corals are considered pretty hardy so I wasn’t too worried about it. They all seem to be doing well so far!

brian414899

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So I wanted to transfer as little pests as I could so very little was moved to the new tank. I completed a fishless cycle on the new one with all new sand and rock. I added in the fish and waited a couple weeks before introducing a test coral. I just broke off a small piece of my GSP. When I saw that it was doing well I transferred over the rest of my corals over the next couple weeks. All of my corals are considered pretty hardy so I wasn’t too worried about it. They all seem to be doing well so far!
image.jpg
Just looking for thoughts or suggestions:
Filtration is just the stock protein skimmer,
Intank media basket with chemi pure elite and bio media. It’s stocked with a clown enenome cardinal watchmen goby fire shrimp and cleanup crew

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back