Need help with tank question

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, might have found a 250 gallon for a good price. Glass. Only issue is it isnt drilled for a sump… which I obviously want a sump on a tank that big. So I was looking into drilling holes but theres no way in F I want to do that myself. Wondering if anyone has any companies or advice with this that do this kind of a thing?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A glass shop will do it.

I know it's intimidating if you've never done it, but it's actually really easy to do. The overflow kits come with a template and a hole saw.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A glass shop will do it.

I know it's intimidating if you've never done it, but it's actually really easy to do. The overflow kits come with a template and a hole saw.
Ah okay. Ill talk to a glass shop, Im so nervous to shatter the whole thing

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling is actually super easy unless the glass is tempered, which is easy to check for. Glass shop would be happy to do it for you, I'd be more worried about transporting it back and forth.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling is actually super easy unless the glass is tempered, which is easy to check for. Glass shop would be happy to do it for you, I'd be more worried about transporting it back and forth.
Yes thats also what I was concerned about. How would I be able to check if its tempered?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled multiple tanks with no mishaps, except one that I didn't check was Tempered until after I drilled, which surprisingly I was able to drill anyway because I went super slow and the glass was thin. Take your time and don't sweat it! I like to use the technique where you use plumbers putty to make a watertight ring around the drilling area, and fill it with water for lubrication and heat control.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled multiple tanks with no mishaps, except one that I didn't check was Tempered until after I drilled, which surprisingly I was able to drill anyway because I went super slow and the glass was thin. Take your time and don't sweat it! I like to use the technique where you use plumbers putty to make a watertight ring around the drilling area, and fill it with water for lubrication and heat control.
Is there any specific kit you recommend? And just to make sure if you see rainbows its tempered (wit polarized glasses)?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kit depends on what size overflow/holes. Did you decide that yet? Diamond glass drilling hole saw drill bits are very easy to find online.

Through polarized sunglasses, tempered glass will look something like the below picture, and untempered you will not see the black lines/splotches, unless you turn the glasses sideways, which should black out the glass. You can put your phone or other screen with a white screen on the other side of the glass to amplify the effect to make it easier to tell.

1706289425128.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kit depends on what size overflow/holes. Did you decide that yet? Diamond glass drilling hole saw drill bits are very easy to find online.

Through polarized sunglasses, tempered glass will look something like the below picture, and untempered you will not see the black lines/splotches, unless you turn the glasses sideways, which should black out the glass. You can put your phone or other screen with a white screen on the other side of the glass to amplify the effect to make it easier to tell.

1706289425128.png
Cool! Im going to look at the tank this weekend or next, if it could be drilled for a sump was the biggest deciding factor for me since I cant do a HOB with the lions and eels and other fish, just wouldnt be effective at all!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Through polarized sunglasses, tempered glass will look something like the below picture, and untempered you will not see the black lines/splotches, unless you turn the glasses sideways, which should black out the glass. You can put your phone or other screen with a white screen on the other side of the glass to amplify the effect to make it easier to tell
Be careful these days with using cell phones. Some of the newer phones have better screens. Some people suggest using a laptop because....
Check your cell phone through a car windshield first

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back