Transitioning from calcium reactor to kalk stirrer

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 240 gallon tank (350 gallon system) using a calcium reactor. I have reasonably stable alk and calc, but have decided to start using kalk instead of the carx, and I'll bring the carx back online if and when my consumption exceeds what I can add each day with the kalk.

What I'm thinking I'll do is to figure out my daily evaporation rate to set as a max ceiling for the amount of kalkwasser I can add each day. Then I'll start dosing kalkwasser using a dosing pump connected to my GHL controller. I'll monitor my PH, and stop dosing if it ever gets too high at any point. What I'm not sure of is how to figure out how much kalk I should dose each day. I'd like to continue to keep my alk and calc levels steady as I transition to kalk. Should I measure my carx effluent to figure out my daily consumption? If so, should I go by the calcium, or the alkalinity level in the effluent?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 240 gallon tank (350 gallon system) using a calcium reactor. I have reasonably stable alk and calc, but have decided to start using kalk instead of the carx, and I'll bring the carx back online if and when my consumption exceeds what I can add each day with the kalk.

What I'm thinking I'll do is to figure out my daily evaporation rate to set as a max ceiling for the amount of kalkwasser I can add each day. Then I'll start dosing kalkwasser using a dosing pump connected to my GHL controller. I'll monitor my PH, and stop dosing if it ever gets too high at any point. What I'm not sure of is how to figure out how much kalk I should dose each day. I'd like to continue to keep my alk and calc levels steady as I transition to kalk. Should I measure my carx effluent to figure out my daily consumption? If so, should I go by the calcium, or the alkalinity level in the effluent?

IMO, unless you set the high pH target unusually low, it will most likely just be an emergency shut off for overdose scenarios.

In order to know in advance how much to use as a starting dose, knowledge of your current dose is useful (say, in dKH per day).

Otherwise, I'd just estimate it by considering the type of reef tank. If it is SPS oriented, I'd start at full strength for all evaporation.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes - that's what I'm asking, how to figure out my current consumption based on what I'm putting in out of my calcium reactor. So I should go by the alkalinity, not the calcium, in my effluent? Is it as simple as measuring the dKh of my effluent, and then doing the math using the daily volume of my effluent dosage and my system volume?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes - that's what I'm asking, how to figure out my current consumption based on what I'm putting in out of my calcium reactor. So I should go by the alkalinity, not the calcium, in my effluent? Is it as simple as measuring the dKh of my effluent, and then doing the math using the daily volume of my effluent dosage and my system volume?
Yes, one way is to measure the tank and effluent alk (not calcium, it will be too noisy), take the difference, and multiply by the volume per day.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Based on that, I should dose 5L of Kalkwasser per day. I’ll do that, and keep an eye on it.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Why the switch ?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
To bring my pH up, and I think I can keep alk at a more stable number with kalk.
You can keep alk at a more stable number that a carx ? That’s interesting

I know ph hands down is a winner going that route . I’ve thought about it

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain this further? So turn mag off ? Not sure I am following.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back