Transparent patch on yellow watchman goby

jazzdude87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,
So, I added a yellow watchman goby to the tank from my LFS two weeks ago. He immediately found a burrow and was acting pretty normally from the start. I noticed a very tiny transparent patch on one of his pelvic fins (can't get him to pose for a picture of that) shortly after adding him to the tank, but it didn't seem to worsen, and seemed likely to me to be secondary to trauma from transport/movement from the store to my tank or perhaps unseen at the store or from burrowing once added to the tank. Fast forward to tonight and I just noticed a very small transparent patch on the rear of his dorsal (?) fin proximal to his body. He hasn't been in a burrow much for the past week or so, but seems content hanging out on the bottom of the sand bed. He eats brine, flake, and mysis like a champ every time the tank is fed, and seems overall very healthy and happy. Other tank mates:
- two clowns who are not aggressive
- cleaner shrimp
- 2 pom pom crabs
- bangaii cardinal
- firefish
- a candy pistol shrimp who I've only seen once in the past month

Tank is only about 2 months old, but water parameters are stable with undetectable ammonia, undetectable nitrite, nitrate 0.5-2 depending on the day. Phos 0, Alk 7.6, calcium 420, magnesium 1260. Salinity 1.024-1.025. System is a RedSea Reefer 250. Unfortunately, I do not have a quarantine tank, and did not dip this guy before adding to my home tank. It is possible I have simply not noticed this transparent patch before, but am concerned as I don't want it to worsen or spread to other tank mates. I do not think it is trauma as it is so close to his body and the ends of his fins do not show any signs of damage/rot. Everything I've read about these guys says they are very resistant to disease, and with his eating well and no other concerning signs I'm hopeful this is just a normal variant. I also don't want to miss something simple that could be treated early. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IMG_7946.JPG IMG_7947.jpg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its just transparent i dont think you should worry unless it starts to spread. If it looks like this
fish.JPG

It means its a bacterial infection and you should treat with Kanaplex + Furan-2 for 2 weeks

OP
OP
J

jazzdude87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Fritz, thanks for your reply! He doesn't have it anywhere else on his body that I can see. Just those two fins are affected. I just don't remember his dorsal fin (?) to have that transparency until recently. I have a net on top of the Red Sea tank, and this morning when walking downstairs, the goby jumped through the net to land on the hardwood. Fortunately, I beat my cat to the retrieval and he made it back into the tank. Acting normal and eating within just a few minutes. I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on him... This was a shot of his fins from this morning:

IMG_7953.jpg

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 YWG and both lost some color in QT. It was blotchy and not all over. Once settled the color has completely come back.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back